Monday, July 21, 2008
You Put Your Right Foot In, You Put Your Right Foor Out
It will be two weeks tomorrow that my right foot started hurting. I didn't bump it, nothing bit me, it just started hurting. Three days later it swelled up and turned red and hot. So last Friday, after ten days of limping and a week of swelling, I broke down and did the thing I most hate to do: I went to the doctor.



My difficulties with doctors started when I was 3 and was bitten on the nose by a dog. Everyone panicked, and I ended up getting rabies shots, back when they were really painful, given in the stomach and the back with needles long enough to fence with. I decided at that time that I did not like doctors (dogs, however, were still fine; I knew which one of those two had actually hurt me.) But over the years, except for OB-GYN and pediatricians, I have found doctors to be basically useless, uninterested in their patients, and totally unable to listen. I have found that I can take care of almost everything I need with a chiropractor, a dermatologist, a dentist and an eye doctor.



Unfortunately, the chiropractor could not fix the swollen foot. I had already checked the internet and discovered that two swollen feet could mean congestive heart failure, and one swollen leg could mean deep vein thrombosis (or was it phlebitis?), but one swollen foot could only come from some kind of injury. But I didn't have an injury. And I was getting worried.



Well, I still don't know why my foot is swollen. However, my blood pressure was so high that I did something I swore I would never do: I accepted medication for it. It has been high for several years and creeping up. But remember I said I hate going to the doctor. There is a term, "white coat anxiety", for people like me whose blood pressure shoots up in the doctor's office. In my case, it isn't anxiety so much as anger. When I go to the chiropractor, the eye doctor or even the dermatologist, they are friendly and treat me like a person. When I go to an M.D.'s office, I suddenly become a cross between a small, not bright child and a number. By the time they put the blood pressure cuff on me, after making me wait a long time, then asking a series of repetitive questions ("Can't you just read what I wrote on that piece of paper in your hand?"), I am so angry it's a wonder the machine doesn't explode. Then, seeing how high my blood pressure is, the doctor only wants to talk about putting me on drugs. This makes me even madder, since there is never a discussion of my lifestyle, of changes I might make, even of monitoring my b.p. at home to get the real picture. So instead of the pressure going down after a few minutes, it keeps going up as long as I am in the doctor's office.



But this time it was so high it scared even me. I am not afraid of a nice swift heart attack that would kill me, but I am deathly afraid of a stroke that would rob me of speech or movement. So I accepted the prescription. So far, it's brought my blood pressure back down to where it's been for the last few years -- high but not scary. I suspect that happened as soon as I got out of the doctor's office.

Two days later now ... I was interrupted by the arrival of my new computer. Some of the issues I had with it certainly challenged my new blood pressure machine! But overall the pressure is coming down and I see a difference in the amount of puffiness in my face and arms. Unfortunately, my foot is still swollen and painful, but maybe the de-swelling is working its way down my body? I'll let you know if it "de-swells" my stomach, butt and thighs. Now that would make it all worthwhile.

posted at 9:14 AM
Comments (3)



3 Comments:
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Star said...

Hey MM- take care of yourself. I share your aversion of doctors, although mine is inherited. Neither my mother or gandmother trusted them. I am on no medication. But hubby, who thins a Dr. is next to God is on several for high blod pressure and cholesteral. They do seem to be helping.

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger deni said...

Hi, just wanted to let you know I am back and posting at Time to Tell.

http://dlbk.blogspot.com

I hope you get to feeling better.

 
At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to find a different doctor. I love the way they treat me at my doctors office. Of course, they have gotten to know me quite well because of the horse bite incident............

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Saturday Photo Hunt: Support
And Death Shall Have No Dominion
Pot Pourri
Catching Up
Throwing It Open To A Vote
I Have Been Selected!
Life Must Go On -- I Forget Just Why
In Memoriam
The Generations Come Together, Then Diverge
Things I Saw in the Galapagos



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: