Sunday, January 25, 2009
The End of the Trip
There was an Arctic front moving through Europe while we were there. As we left Prague to drive back to Paris and our flight home, we saw scenery like this:

We stopped in Germany to get gas and decided to have some lunch. We found the most amazing place, all glassed in and full of plants.

The service was a little slow, but the food and the atmosphere were delightful. That's the good part about the way we travel, with no real plans and no reservations -- we can take whatever presents itself and enjoy it.

We stopped that night in Verdun France, site of some very bloody battles in both World Wars. This was Friday night, but there were no restaurants open! We finally found one on the edge of town called Buffalo Grill, where I had a hamburger, French fries (pommes frites) and a mini bottle of Burgundy, which was the local wine. This was not at all what I expected to be eating in France, but this restaurant seems to be a big hit with the locals. Or maybe that's just because everyone else closes on Friday night, so they get all the business.

Verdun is a lovely very old city with the original city gates still standing. We walked around a bit, checked out the memorials, and spotted a woman walking both her dog and her cat on leashes. I wanted to take a picture but by the time we got close enough, the cat was , um, busy in the bushes, and I didn't want to startle it with the flash.

We ended up that night in Chantilly -- and, no, I couldn't find any lace. But what they had, in addition to a huge castle,

were lots of small shops. In fact, as we strolled down the street, we passed, in order, a butcher and a baker (but we never did see a candlestick maker.) Chantilly is a small town, but they had three chocolatiers. I chose the right one, because the owner spoke excellent English and was obviously enjoying his conversation with Texans. He even followed us out into the street to wish us a happy new year. This is so different from the reception we have gotten in the past. Europeans seem to like Americans again.

My favorite shop in Chantilly was the fruit and vegetable one. I couldn't even buy anything, as I was leaving the next day and couldn't take it on the plane, but I had a serious case of Shop Envy. Damn, that fruit looked good!


I had to content myself with profiteroles instead:


And finally, just for Guppy, I give you ... potato chips!


Okay, this whole post has turned into an ode to food. I think I must be hungry.

posted at 1:55 AM
Comments (2)



2 Comments:
At 5:35 AM, Blogger Star said...

That's the way to travel. No particular plan and no timetable.Just seeing what presents itself. You find the most interesting places that way. I can't wwait to travel abroad again.

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger gal artist said...

I really enjoyed the pictures and commentary on Verdun, since that is my birthplace and I don't remember it, it's nice to see what it looks like.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Helpless Little Kitten or Spawn of Satan?
The Mystery
More Prague
A Very Dobre Trip
I Want a New Face
A Little Too Much Caution?
Look What We Got!
The New Arrival
Doing What I LoveTo Do
To - Do List



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: