Thursday, July 06, 2006
Thursday Thirteen
1.On Saturday, the furniture store will deliver the Little Angel's new bed to Guppy's house. They will be camping, so I will be there to supervise.

2. This bed is an all-in-one, with dresser drawers, a desk, a bed on top and a trundle bed, and storage behind the desk and drawers. When I paid for it, they knocked off another $100 because they said it's a discontinued set.

3. The extra $100 is fine with me, because I have to buy her a new mattress. The one she has is top of the line, with pillowtop on both sides, and it is too thick for a bunk bed. It comes up above the safety rail.

4. I bought canopy beds for my other three granddaughters, although I don't think any of them still have that bed. There was no room for a canopy bed in the LA's room.

5. Both my daughters had canopy beds, too. Can you guess what I always wanted and never had?

6. The Professor is hot-natured, and for years a canopy bed was out of the question because the canopy blocks air circulation. Now we have flip-flopped: at night I am kicking off the covers and he is pulling them up to his chin.

7. My headboard is the old sounding board off an upright piano. I loved that piano so much. It didn't have the best sound, but it was carved and beautiful. It fell out of the back of a truck and was destroyed (it still hurts to think about it.) I painted the carved flowers on the sounding board to match my bedspread, and hung it on the wall.

8. The Professor says he is willing to have a canopy bed now. My first thought was, no, I can't give up my piano headboard! Then I realized I can hang it on the wall anywhere.

9. When I get my new bed, which won't be until the remodeling is done, I am going to buy a crocheted canopy. I am NOT planning to crochet it myself. Trust me, this is a big sign that I am getting sensible, or maybe just getting old.

10. Twenty years ago I would have designed the pattern and made the canopy. Thirty years ago I would have crocheted a dust ruffle, too, and probably some sachets in the same pattern so my closet would coordinate with the bedroom.

11. Once, when I was married to my kids' father, I decided to give him a surprise birthday party. I made 6 or 7 batches of lasagna, and since I didn't have a freezer, I was taking them to my neighbor's when he drove up and caught me. I babbled something about being so proud of myself, I had made all this lasagna so we could have it whenever we wanted, and I was going to put them in the neighbor's freezer.

12. To my amazement, he bought that story. All my friends said, of course he believed me, it's exactly the sort of thing I would do. I remember thinking how wrong they were -- I would never have made more than 3 batches just for us!

13. Funny, nowadays it takes at least 3 batches of lasagna when the family gets together. But it makes me feel so good to see them taking second and third helpings.

Happy Thursday, everyone!

posted at 4:48 AM
Comments (7)



7 Comments:
At 8:21 AM, Blogger gal artist said...

What a great idea for a headboard!!

But a canopy bed would be awesome too.

I don't blame you on the crocheting, years ago, I too would have spent the time, but now, who has the time? I started a bedspread about five years ago, it is still yet unfinished.

Maybe someday. :)

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Tracy S said...

I have no idea WHY you have no time to crochet a canopy and all the matching accesories..lol With all the time you always have on your hands and all..lol

and mmmmmm lasagna...man you just had to mention lasagna huh..lol Hmmmmm isn't there some sort of occasion( gup's birthday) that would call for a get together to make lasagna? * insert subtle hint here * Especially the portabella kind :)..lol

Happy Thursday...you may want to check in at the TT hub to generate more visitors :)

 
At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey... my b-day is coming up..... I'll pass on the portabella stuff, but lasagna does sound awfully good right now......

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Wystful1 said...

How beautiful....an amazing family I see in this T 13!!

I laugh at the crocheting antics and thoughts...yep, that would be me too. I'm in the middle of an afghan project for a friend online and tho, it's still fun, I have to ask myself 'why do I get myself into things like this'.

Then, the story of the piano/headboard. How awesome is that? Would love to see a pic of how you painted it!!!!

And the canopy beds? Yep, me too. Tho I actually never wanted one for myself, I did want one for my daughter. And she got it whether SHE wanted one or not!!

Thanks for the visit today.
Happy Thursday.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Star said...

What a great idea for a headboard. When Sarcasmo was 5 I bought a second (at least) hand piano from a music student who was moving. My husband and his brothers who are not piano movers borrowed a truck to bring it home. I was quite distraught when my BIL entered the house with the frame for the keyboard around his neck. He said they took a turn too quick! Believe it or not it still plays today.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Ramona said...

You must be a great cook! The quiche turned out very well, BTW. Thanks for the recipe!

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

You know, I never wanted a canapoy bed. A friend of mine had one and it looked funny in her room. We grew up poor and my sister and I had to sleep in the same double bed. Last year we bought a sleep number bed and we love it.

My family loves lazagna too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Wordless Wednesday
The IRS Has Morals?
Saturday Photo Hunt: Automobiles
Thursday Thirteen
Wordless Wednesday
Texas Insanity
Saturday Photo Hunt: Love
Thursday Thirteen
Wordless Wednesday
Wish I'd Said That!



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: