Wednesday, June 28, 2006
Thursday Thirteen
1. On Tuesday I spent $177.11 at Wal-Mart in another city. I bought toothbrush and toothpaste, pajamas, underwear, socks, a blouse, a pair of pants, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, deodorant, a hairbrush, styling gel, hair spray, cleanser, toner and moisturizer for my face, foundation, eyeliner, mascara, blush, and perfume.

2. You're way ahead of me, aren't you? This time I packed so carefully. I didn't leave out anything that I would need. I just left the whole suitcase behind.

3. In my defense, the lawn crew was blowing the grass off the driveway as I was loading the car. I put my current craft project in the trunk, then closed it so grass wouldn't get in there. Then I went back inside, gathered up catalogs, folders and several plates of brownies, and put those in the car. Because my normal routine is to leave the trunk open until everything is in it, I didn't realize that my suitcase was still sitting on the bed. (I think. Maybe in the front hall. Maybe in the driveway.)

4. Is my subconcious trying to tell me that I'm tired of traveling so much? Is this early-onset Alzheimer's? Or am I turning into one of those horrible people who are so distracted by their jobs that they go to work and forget that they left their baby in the car?

5. I will tell you this, though -- if you like those little thrills of adrenalin that you get when something startles and scares you, you can get a really good one by opening your trunk and discovering you literally have Nothing. To. Wear.

6. When I check out, my luggage will be plastic bags. Now THAT'S embarrassing.

7. I finally contacted an architect. I've been putting it off for years, because I hate the thought of remodeling going on while I'm trying to work. I've also been battling the Professor, who is convinced that his Ph.D. in physics qualifies him to do anything. Well, it turns out that this architect is a space architect for NASA by day, and runs his own company in his spare time. That is great news, because if anyone can get the Professor's respect, it will be a space architect. (Just curious -- did anyone even know there was such a profession?)

8. Our house is tilt-slab concrete construction, so the doors and windows are where they are, and nothing can change that. It's a good thing in terms of hurricanes -- nothing is going to blow those walls down -- but a bad thing when you'd like to change the sizes of rooms. The last owner put on an upstairs addition which apparently was designed on the back of an envelope. They cut through a valley rafter, which has caused incurable leaks in one spot. They were forced to put a post in one corner of the den to hold up the upstairs. It makes it impossible to arrange furniture, among other things.

9. I have a list of must-haves -- remodel the kitchen, get rid of the damn post, improve the traffic flow -- and my I-wants: a huge covered front porch, a fireplace, a portico leading from the back door through my (I wish) gazebo, and to the garage.

10. At some point, it may become more expensive to remodel than just to tear the house down and build a new one. I don't even want to think about having to move twice.

11. The Professor asks me periodically where I'd like to retire. I tell him, right here. We have excellent medical facilities, an airport that can get you anywhere in the world with minimum difficulty, a thriving cultural community, all our children and grandchildren nearby, a climate that will grow almost anything, and intelligent life forms in the area. He doesn't seem content with my answer, but when I ask him where he would like to go, he says, nowhere special, he's just exploring the subject.

12. When we took our trip to Savannah and Charleston, we visited Beaufort S.C. It's a charming town, with lots of big old houses, because the sugar cane and indigo plantation owners lived there instead of on the plantations. It has tropical flowers and marsh and seems to be a place where you don't have to lock your doors. The Professor commented that he could envision retiring there. I told him, of course you can, it looks just like where we live now.

13. When I killed the Professor in my Wordless Wednesday, it was a joke. Really. It was. But as I'm thinking about the difficulties I'll have getting him to tell me what he wants in the house, and why he doesn't like something, I wonder.......

Happy Thursday, everyone!

posted at 12:16 PM
Comments (6)



6 Comments:
At 8:23 AM, Blogger gal artist said...

You left your suitcase behind? ROTF, I would probably do that. :)

Great TT, I enjoyed it.

Have a wonderful day.

 
At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have spent another $20 at Wal Mart and bought a gym bag or something so you wouldn't have to carry those plastic bags!! :)

 
At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are funny....

Maybe you should take a vacation where you don't actually go anywhere at all.... You just hang out at home and get yourself together.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Tracy S said...

lol@ Crabgirl.. only bad thing about that is she would have more crap to store once she got home.

I am soooo glad you are finally going to remodel.. I am waiting to help ya decorate :)

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Sounds to me like it might be easier to sell the house and rebuild just what you want somewhere else.

Do you really want to retire that close to the Gulf Coast? If you do, you better build a house made out of concrete so that the hurricanes don't blow/wash you away. I have lived in Houston all my life and I am glad that we live on the North side of town now. I don't have to worry about being in the surge zone. TF and I will probably retire in the house that we currently live in. I can't see moving all my "stuff" again. No No No.!

Sorry you left your suit case! I think it's age, at least I know it is with me. When I went to Galveston last week to spend time with my family, I took the crockpot but forgot the cord. I have decided to make a list next time and mark everything off as I put it in the car.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

heh heh: "The lawnblower defense"

I gotta tell my legal colleagues about that one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Wordless Wednesday
Texas Insanity
Saturday Photo Hunt: Love
Thursday Thirteen
Wordless Wednesday
Wish I'd Said That!
Another Week, Another Trip
Saturday Photo Hunt: Sports
Random Thoughts on a Friday
Thursday Thirteen



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: