Thursday, June 15, 2006
Thursday Thirteen
1. I've never done TT before. I just discovered in browsing through other's blogs that it's traditional to do 100 things about yourself when you reach your 100th post. Well, I didn't know that, but I figure if I do TT...let's see...carry the one...7.69 times, it's as good as doing 100 things. And 7.69 times means the 8th one only has to have 9 things!

2. Is that being lazy or efficient?

3. I tend to do everything the hard way. I bake from scratch. I chop my own onions. I sew, not glue, sequins. Even when I find a quicker, easier way to do something (pancakes from Bisquick, for example), it always feels like cheating to me.

4. When I was young I was so insecure about my abilities that I would bake from scratch for my family, but only use a cake mix for company. That is pretty much a metaphor for everything about my life then.

5. People saw me as confident long before I felt that way. To this day, I have to fight the tape in my head that tells me that everything I do falls short of the mark.

6. Parents didn't praise their kids much when I was growing up, and mine were super-critical. My father was always yelling "That's class D work."

7. The funny thing is, the man never did class A work in his life. He always stopped short of doing a good job.

8. It was really hard for me when I started making more money than my father ever did. Then I realized that I worked hard to get there, and he didn't.

9. I never met my father's mother, and she never even sent me a birthday card. My mother's mother didn't like me, and everyone knew it. I was determined that all my grandchildren would feel enormously loved. Nothing gives me more pleasure than doing something for them and seeing that look of delight on their faces.

10. None of my grandchildren can imagine a grandmother who doesn't like you. I take that as pretty good proof that they feel loved.

11. Between us, the Professor and I have 10 grandchildren, 5 boys and 5 girls. They are all OUR granchildren. They range in age from 22 to 3. I'm hoping for at least one more from Guppy & Stormii.

12. The Professor was a friend of my brother's. I've known him since I was 8. He noticed me in my early teens; we dated for a while; I dumped him. 28 years later, after two bad marriages apiece, my daughters engineered our re-acquaintance. Dolphin had told me "Mom, you have terrible taste in men; let me pick one for you". When she carried on about how good-looking and funny he was, I had to see for myself. I recalled him as not very attractive and extremely boring.

13. I called the Professor at his mother's house. After we chatted a bit, I told him to call me next time he was in town and he said "I'm here now." So he came out to visit me and the rest, as they say, is history.

posted at 5:42 AM
Comments (7)



7 Comments:
At 7:42 AM, Blogger gal artist said...

I enjoyed your TT.

DT and I are both on our second marriage, with a managerie of children and step-children, 5 between the two of us. Our Grandchildren are also Ours. The fifth baby is on his way. That will make 2 boys and 3 girls.

I keep hoping Son and wife will have one more. :)

 
At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love love stories! So sweet that you've known each for so long!

Thanks for visiting.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Ally said...

I loved this post - I feel I know a bit more about you now ...

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Tracy S said...

Welcome to TT.. It is great to see you join in. I am sure I will learn lots more about you .. and how cool that you ended yours with a love story :) aweeeeee.....

and I learned something already today.. I never knew you had grandparents that hated you. That would suck.

 
At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! I can relate to a lot of what you said.

Vicki :-)

 
At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to T-13! I thought I had commented here earlier today, but I guess not! You will like meeting new people ever Thursday, it's really fun!

10 grandkids sounds like a blast!

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Angie said...

I love the 100 things about others so this will be fun finding out new things about you!

My parents have 8 grandkids so you have them beat. :) I can only imagine what a great grandma you are!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Wordless Wednesday
Monday Mutterings
Scavenger Hunt: Community
Ramblings of a Road Warrior
Wordless Wednesday
Races and Ballet
Scavenger Hunt With Whine
Semi-Wordless Wednesday
In Memoriam
Ten "M" Words



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: