Saturday, November 25, 2006
Saturday Photo Hunt: Time
PS Hunt
Grab the Photo Hunt code.
Join the blogroll. Visit participants.



Time is one of those deep subjects. No one can see it, but we can see its effects. It is one of the earliest words we hear: dinnertime, bedtime, Once Upon a Time. We use it to describe seasons and events: springtime, Christmas time, Miller time. We know that time marches on, that time heals all wounds, and that time and tides wait for no man. We make the most of our time and we kill time. We all have good times and bad times.

Time is elastic. If we are totally absorbed in something, we lose all track of time. If we have a very intense moment, time seems to slow down as we take in every detail around us and imprint it our memories. Einstein, in a Relativity for Dummies moment, noted that a minute spent sitting on a hot stove is much longer than a minute spent sitting on a park bench next to a pretty girl.

We measure time, and we use it to order our lives. At work, we may punch a time clock, and we always try to be on time. In sports, we have time out and halftime. We waltz in three-quarter time. We time ourselves in contests. We break time down to nanoseconds and stretch it out to millenia, but what we are really doing is noting how much happens to us during that span.

My two oldest and my youngest grandchildren were here for Thanksgiving. The two oldest decided to re-create their childhood game of "making tangles" by wrapping balls of yarn around everything in my house. Somehow they decided that throwing the yarn over the ceiling fan was even more fun. The youngest was so delighted by this game that she announced "This is the best Thanksgiving ever!"

And that is time's gift. Things from the past seem to reach forward into the present. We see our grandmother's smile on the face of a grandchild; we are transported for a moment back to our own childhood by a song or a movie or a scent. It did my heart good to see the two young adults playing like children, and to see the child so captivated by their playfulness. It was, indeed, a very good time.

posted at 8:40 AM
Comments (10)



10 Comments:
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

A thoughtful dissertation on the meaning of time. Wonderful and simply put. Here, here.

I vote for you!

Mine is up too.

Blessings to you and yours,
Carol

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course... you have to use a pic of me acting out my childhood too....

 
At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was very cool. They were having such a blast. I must say that this was one of my very favorite Thanksgiving here in Texas, if not THE most favorite. I really enjoyed it.

 
At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like the kids had fun. I sure miss my grandkids, especially during the holidays. :(

Thanks for stopping by.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Teena in Toronto said...

Nice pic and story!

Mine's up :)

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Girlie said...

Awww....those are nice times indeed! I'm a long way away from grankids, but I'm looking forward to it!

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Star said...

That is awesome. My three girls are the oldest of the cousins on my husbands side. There are 9 all togther, raning from 13 to 33. At Xmas when they are all togther they get a Trivial Pursuit game going. Now they include my SIL and my grandson in the gouop. They have a great time and a wonderful relationship. It is fun to watch.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger srp said...

Wonderful picture. Great words.
Priceless memory. Thanks for sharing.
Mine's up too.

 
At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nicely done, this could have been a word of the day as well!

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Marion said...

awesome post! I'm glad I found your site...I came by Guppyman's blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Wordless Wednesday
Words of Wisdom
The World's Easiest Quiz
Wordless Wednesday
Odds and Ends
The Numbers Test
Saturday Photo Hunt: Growth
Wordless Wednesday
HO, HO, HO
Saturday Photo Hunt: Windows



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: