Sunday, November 05, 2006
HO, HO, HO
Yesterday I decided to bite the bullet and buy my first artificial Christmas tree ever. The Professor is almost always traveling in early December, so I am stuck every year with putting the tree up --- and then it dries out -- and then it makes a mess when you take it down --- but, damn, it smells good! But I digress. I went to Garden Ridge because they were having a big sale on trees. I spent close to an hour agonizing over which tree I wanted. When you get up close to an artificial tree, it looks, well, artificial. I met another woman about my age who was also trying to convince herself she wanted an artificial tree for the practicality. We were trying to give each other moral support, but I don't think either one of us had her heart in it.

I finally settled on a tree. On sale, it was $300, but it looked just like it was growing on a ski slope in Colorado (as long as you didn't get right up on it.) I grabbed someone to help me find the box and load it up. He said, and I quote "Oh, you want the ho?" I wasn't sure what word I'd missed, but obviously he said "Oh, you want the _ _ _, ho?" WHY was this young man calling me a ho???? Fortunately for him, he left for the stockroom before I could react. While he was gone, I wandered over to the boxes that were out on the floor, and noticed symbols on each box like HI, HA, etc. Aha! I wasn't the ho, my Christmas tree was a HO!

As it turned out, the tree really was a HO. Everyone else got it first, and there was none left for me. They assured me there would be a truck Monday or Tuesday, but I'll be out of town, so that doesn't do me any good. I went to two other stores, but didn't like their trees. I finally decided that all this was a sign that I should stick with a real tree for one more year. And that's even practical, since I won't really know until after the remodeling is done how tall or how wide a tree I want. I just love it when I can justify rationally what I want emotionally!

posted at 3:36 AM
Comments (7)



7 Comments:
At 5:15 AM, Blogger Star said...

As a real rree perso I think that no more HO's being in stock was definately a sign that you need a real tree. Do you get that totally shocked reaction from people when they find outyou don't put up an artificial tree?

 
At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we've had artifical for years, cuz we have allergies in the house. it's worth the money to buy an expensive tree that looks good. if you miss the smell, check out that yankee candles for christmas.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I've had an artificial tree forever...and I need a new one...a bigger one. I love the fac that there's less hassle of shopping for the perfect real tree. And you can pack it away without much ado, and have it for next year. And for the pine scent...I have pine votive candles all around the tree area. LOL

AND--Cars, the movie is gonna be on sale tomorrow at Circuit City for only $13.99!!! In DVD of course.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Beanhead said...

I am a real tree or no tree kinda girl I suffer with my dog, my kids, and my allergies for 3 weeks a year just to have that couple weeks of childhood memories rush back over me every time I smell the tree.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger gal artist said...

There is nothing like a real tree, despite the pine needles stuck every where.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Ally said...

I am NOT a Tree Person at all. I don't like the real ones because of the Needle Problem (and also in latter years the whole Saving The World thing - it seems such a waste to cut them down and then throw them out); and you are right, the artificial ones look somehow, so, well, artificial.

So this year I am going to try to go for branches trimmed out of the garden laid along the window ledges - very medieval, hopefully!

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

it's a good thing you didn't get the scented model or else you woulda had a stank ho.

sorry, I just couldn't resist.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Saturday Photo Hunt: Windows
The Great Costume Caper
Thursday Thirteen
Wordless Wednesday
Sometimes It's Hard to be Honest
Saturday Photo Hunt: Dreaming
Wordless Wednesday: This One Needs a Caption
Saturday Photo Hunt: Lost
Thursday Thirteen
Wordless Wednesday



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: