Monday, October 23, 2006
Sometimes It's Hard to be Honest
You know how sometimes you wish your mama hadn't done such a good job of teaching you right from wrong? How you wish your conscience would go on a two-week cruise while you did what almost anybody else would do without a second thought? That's where I am now.

I ordered some Star Wars light sabers as Christmas gifts from the Wally World website. One of them was the Darth Maul single light saber for just under $100. What I received was the Darth Maul double-ended light saber, which costs twice as much. I didn't realize it until I got the boxes home and was showing the light sabers to the Professor.

It would be nice and straight forward if we could just return what we received and get what we ordered. But the web site no longer lists what we ordered. So there is the possibility that they deliberately substituted the more expensive one. Maybe they figured that they had already charged the credit card and now could not fill the order, and they would risk making me really mad if they just cancelled it. But if that's what they did, they made no profit at all.

I have sent an email and am waiting to hear back from them. I suspect they'll be surprised that anyone would even tell them about this kind of mistake in the first place! A lot of people would think that if the store makes a mistake, the store has to bear the consequences.

What do you think? If you realize you are getting a really good deal due to an employee's mistake, should you speak up, or take the merchandise and run? Do you think the good deals compensate for all the times you were overcharged, or is it always your responsibility to make sure the price is the right one?

posted at 6:35 AM
Comments (7)



7 Comments:
At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say, give guppyman the full double-bladed Darth Maul lightsaber!

Well... call them and see what they want you to do and all that, but.... Dang... I want it bad!

lol

 
At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would call them and see what they say. Did they charge you for the one you ordered or the more expensive one? If they are substituting it, they should at least acknowledge it.

thanks for stopping by.

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Star said...

First of all, a $200 light saber? Anyway, if they did substitute the more expensive one, they should have included a note. It was good of you to notify them. I am truly not sure what I would have done in this situation. They shpuld just let you keep it when you consider time and cost of reshipping. I am still waiting for the car loan people to figure out why they think I sent them a check for $7,000 when I didn't. Honesty can be difficult.

 
At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if it's going to be on your mind then it's best just to come clean.

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if they are going to sub, they should say something. i agree with guppy though, give him that saber!

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Ally said...

I'd have done what you did. I couldn't live with it on my conscience!

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Ally said...

Oh, and also, since we seem to be voting, if they let you keep it, I think you should give it to Guppy! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Saturday Photo Hunt: Dreaming
Wordless Wednesday: This One Needs a Caption
Saturday Photo Hunt: Lost
Thursday Thirteen
Wordless Wednesday
Life Lessons at the Zoo
Saturday Photo Hunt: Sleeping
Thursday Thirteen
Wordless Wednesday
Dracula



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: