Friday, October 27, 2006
The Great Costume Caper
Since I will be out of town on Halloween, I thought I would share the story of my most famous costume. Several years ago the company I worked for had some layoffs and a pay cut, and morale was terrible. I decided that since I am so flat-chested, it would be hilarious to dress up as Dolly Parton. Everyone would get a good laugh and maybe morale would improve.

I went to the costume shop to see about the wig. The one I found was not perfect, but it would do. Then I asked a kid at the counter -- a red-haired, freckle-faced sixteen-year-old-- if they carried falsies.

"Falsies? What's that?"

"Fake breasts."

The poor kid turned as red as his freckles, stammered that he would get the manager, and literally ran away from me. The manager convinced me that if I was going to do this, I needed to do it all the way. So what do you think?

Actually, I already know what you think. If you are a woman, you're thinking:
a) She looks terrible as a blonde!
and
b) If those things were real, she could not stand up atraight!

If you're a man, despite what logic tells you, you are saying "Well DAMN! Now there's a well-built woman!"

It turned out that the costume wasn't funny, after all, at least not to men. The first time I wore it to work, I waited until break time in the shop before making an appearance, so they wouldn't ruin every bit of work in process. But I forgot about the guy driving the fork lift. He saw me and ran right into the wall! The only laughter I heard from males was that guilty giggle that you hear from little boys caught with their hand in the cookie jar, or from men caught with their thoughts on you and sex.

They BELIEVE this stuff! They say "Oh, it's the real you!" As long as I worked at that company, I could not retire Dolly. The men would start telling me in September how much they were looking forward to seeing Dolly Parton again.

Dolly hasn't made an appearance in several years now, but the wig and falsies are still in my closet and every now and then a grandchild will discover them and put on a little show.

posted at 8:27 AM
Comments (4)



4 Comments:
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoohoo! Dolly Parton sounds like a winner! LOL

Thanks for stopping by.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger gal artist said...

Now that's an idea.

I would look so out of balance though, but hubby's eyes would probably fall out of his head.

ROTF

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time...lol

Man those things are huge... How did you walk around like that???

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think you have a wonderful sense of humor...your costume is excellent!

Hope you have a wonderful Halloween!

Cheers,
Carol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Thursday Thirteen
Wordless Wednesday
Sometimes It's Hard to be Honest
Saturday Photo Hunt: Dreaming
Wordless Wednesday: This One Needs a Caption
Saturday Photo Hunt: Lost
Thursday Thirteen
Wordless Wednesday
Life Lessons at the Zoo
Saturday Photo Hunt: Sleeping



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: