Tuesday, July 24, 2007
A Little of This, A Little of That
There is either light at the end of the tunnel, or the headlights of an onrushing train. Either way, it's movement. We have been stuck in a holding pattern for a couple of weeks while the structural engineer designed, analyzed, re-designed, re-analyzed -- you get the picture. Finally, we have a plan and should get the final approval on it from the city today. Then they can go back to re-building the framing so they can put on a new roof.

I posted pictures the other day of the loft with the roof torn off. It has been sitting like that, with just a covering of plastic, ever since. Last Friday we had a storm that was as bad as anything I've ever seen. I literally had a waterfall coming into the den. I found two little pans and spent 40 minutes replacing the full pan with the empty one, running to the door and dumping out the water, then running back to swap pans again. (The Professor, of course, with his incredible sense of timing, was off running an errand.)

The cabinet man came out yesterday. We started laying out the kitchen and realized that some changes are necessary. The Professor wants a 6 burner cooktop plus two wall ovens; I want a stove with the same number of burners and ovens. I am trying to save space for counters and cabinets; he is trying to keep us from getting in each other's way when we are preparing big meals for the entire family. The professionals agree with me; family members who have seen us in action agree with him. Stay tuned for more thrilling developments on this subject.

Rocky Raccoon has been sneaking into the house every night. He is huge -- about the size of a small dog, but much more muscular, something like a pit bull. I did some research on the internet and learned that raccoons can break in anywhere, and that it's not a good idea to let them associate the inside of your house with food. So last night I put a bag full of pecans out on the lawn, and we nailed up every access point we could see on the ground. (Although apparently raccoons are like cats and can get through much smaller openings than you would expect.) It's 4:30 AM and I haven't heard him yet, so I guess it's worked.

Last night the Professor had another fainting spell. It happened exactly like the first: he had just finished eating, complained of dizziness, and went out. It didn't seem to last as long this time, or maybe that was just because I wasn't terrified, and I didn't have to holler for help. He came to, he was fine, with no lingering effects except some clamminess of his skin. On the internet again ... discovered this is quite common in "older individuals" with high blood pressure. Both times this has happened he wasn't that hungry to begin with but ate everything on his plate, anyway, so hopefully, as all the literature suggests and any normal person should be able to figure out, he can control this by not over-eating.

Prayers and good thoughts would be appreciated for my ex-husband, the father of my children, who is having surgery for lung cancer on Friday.

posted at 4:11 AM
Comments (3)



3 Comments:
At 6:02 AM, Blogger Star said...

Good thoughts for the ex, the professor , and you as you get through this remodel one day at a time.

 
At 8:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He (and we) are right. The cooktop and the ovens need to be on opposite ends of the kitchen. You probably should have built 2 seperate kitchens all together- That would have kept you from bumping into eachother...

 
At 2:47 AM, Blogger Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

I'll add you to my prayer meditations. sorry to hear that. I've been fighting. just took the bar exam and finished chemotherapy on my face. Must be something in the air.

Aloha,

Shane

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Saturday Photo Hunt: Tiny
The Night Visitor
The Progress Continues
Saturday Photo Hunt: Shadow
Remodeling Update
Saturday Photo Hunt: Sweet
Wordless Wednesday
Making Progress
Rainy Monday
Trapped!



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: