Thursday, October 06, 2005
Transylvania

There have been so many requests (all two of you) for more about Transylvania, so here goes. We all think about vampires and werewolves, but Transylvania is actually a rural part of Romania near the Carpathian mountains. When you get outside the cities, life is something less than 21st century.


We saw wooden carts of all sizes, some horse-drawn, some pushed by men. We also saw a lot of satellite dishes, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, there were internet cafes everywhere.

This is the courtyard of Bran Castle. They will let you take pictures inside, but not outside -- go figure. It is possible that Vlad Tepes (also known as Vlad the Impaler and Vlad Dracul) spent a couple of nights here, but it was not his residence. It's just that Stoker decided to make this Dracula's castle in his novel, and the tourists started showing up in droves.

It was in the nearby town of Brasov that I saw a little girl begging. I knew about all the abandoned children in Romania so I went to get some money from the Professor. But when I came back out of the train station, I saw a man directing a group of children on which way to go and who to beg from. I just turned around and went back inside with the money still in my hand. He may be providing a measure of security for the kids, but mostly he is just exploiting them and teaching them to beg, not to earn a living.

This is what haystacks look like in Romania. In the US you get bales or rolls, but I never before saw actual stacks.



This is the town of Sighisoara, the birthplace of Vladdy the Baddy. They promote that a bit, but mostly it is a charming medieval town. I bought some needlework in this square as souvenirs.


We ate lunch in this restaurant, and it was so good we figured we couldn't beat it and went back for dinner. (The waiter loved us.) I look so happy here because the bathroom was clean and had John Wayne toilet paper -- which, after several days of Attila the Hun toilet paper, is a real luxury. One thing I have learned from traveling is that Americans have the most pampered butts in the world.


posted at 7:26 AM
Comments (7)



7 Comments:
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Star said...

John Wayne toilet paper? I love to travel. I like how the Europeans are still living and working in these buildings that are centuries old.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger xtessa said...

hi guppy's mom!;) welcome to the blogging world... and what a wonderful post. i always visioned Transylvania to be dark and always foggy... with old castles with caskets. heehee...

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger guppyman said...

Mom... please.... get a less transparent shirt!

Geez...

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Welcome to the blog world....I did not really notice that the shirt was transparent until Guppy said something about it.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Beanhead said...

I didn't notice the shirt either. Not so sure about the John Wayne tp?!?!

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger kenju said...

Great photos, Mitey Mite! I came via Michele's because you got skipped.

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger True Jersey Girl said...

Wow, I guess I need to add Transylvania to my list of places to visit before I die!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

I Feel Pretty -- Oh, So Pretty
We All Do It
The Great Train Caper
Here is one the places I've always wanted to see, ...
A Day in London
No Longer a Virgin -- My First Post



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: