Wednesday, November 23, 2005
A while back I was whining about having to go to a sales meeting 12/6 - 12/8 and then a trade show 12/12- 12/15. Well, yesterday I was informed that I have to go to the factory 12/20-12/22! Can you believe this!!!!! I sent my boss an email and asked if I could skip the sales meeting, which we both know is a total waste of my time. I probably surprised him by trying to get out of the early meeting, not the one right before Christmas -- anyway, he said to let him think about it. This was a WAY better response than I expected.

But they're not stealing my Christmas, no matter how hard they try. For several days I've been getting up early and baking Christmas cookies (and freezing them) while I listen to Christmas music. In a few minutes I'm heading for Foley's, which is opening at 6:00 AM today, and which just happens to have something on sale that a certain grandchild wants. I only wish I had a tree already, and the house decorated. If I don't get a reprieve from the sales meeting, I will have 8 days in December that I get to spend at home. I love Christmas -- the sights, the smells, the music, the decorations, the opportunities to do nice things for people. So I will enjoy every second of it that I can.

Here is my recipe for Thumbprints. Except for a couple of weird people who don't like chocolate, everyone is crazy about these. I especially like to watch the reaction of people who think they're getting a Hershey's kiss on a sugar cookie.

Cookies

1/2 cup butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla (Mexican vanilla makes them SO much better!)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1-1/2 cups flour
2 tlbsp. milk
1/4 chocolate chips, chopped

Cream butter, salt, vanilla & brown sugar. Add flour & milk and mix. Stir in chopped chips.
Form in balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Form depression in each cookie with thumb. Bake at 375 deg. 10-12 minutes. I like to roll cookies in powdered sugar before placing on cooling rack.

















Filling

Melt 3/4 cup chocolate chips with 1 tblsp. shortening. Cool slightly; add 2 tblsp. light Karo syrup, 1 tblsp. water and 1 tsp. vanilla. Fill depressions in cookies.


I always make a double batch. It used to be that a small bag of chocolate chips made a single batch, and the large bag made a double batch, but I noticed the other day that they've changed the sizes.










Y'all should be flattered: this recipe is my most cherished, and my claim to fame in the cookie department, and I seldom give it out.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving.

posted at 5:06 AM
Comments (10)



10 Comments:
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Kimberly said...

mmmmmmmmm...Thanks:) I'm going to have to give these a try durign the holidays!

Happy Thanksgiving:)

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger guppyman said...

Yay! I see you made thumbprints.... Now i need to figure out a reason to stop by today instead of waiting until tomorrow.....

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Mitey Mite said...

Guppyman, pay no attention to the cookies in the kitchen... I am the great and wonderful Miteymite... okay, you found me out.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Yummy!!! I feel so special that you shared your recipe. But....I would much rather come there and eat your cookies and that way I wouldn't have to mess up my kitchen! ;)

Thank you for being such a loyal reader and commenter at my blog!! I always appreciate your comments!! You're the greatest...Have a wonderful thanksgiving!

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger gal artist said...

Don't we all have a special cookie recipe?

Mine is my grandmother's Oatmeal crisp cookies. Your a lot braver than I, I won't give my recipe to anyone. Selfish, yeah, but it is just too good to share. :)

I will be baking this weekend and freezing. It's that time again.

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Beanhead said...

Oh those sound divine and I will be making them very soon!!

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Ally said...

Oh my. I am going to bookmark this page and come back to it the week before christmas when I have some time off!

 
At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am flattered!!!
i make these, well, thumbprint cookies, mine have a chocolate cookie base and filled with a caramel. i'm going to "borrow" this from your page and give them a try too.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

Happy Birthday to you:)

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Quitter said...

Have a wonderful Birthday!! :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

The Day the World Changed
Travel, travel, travel
Deep in the Heart of Kenya Part 2
She's Only Looking
Deep in the Heart of Kenya Part 1
Thunder Storms
Friday Ramblings
Surgery, Baseball & Hope
Pondering the Imponderables
Happy Birthday, Kritter!



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: