Friday, November 11, 2005
Friday Ramblings
I've decided that "#1 daughter" is just too complicated, so in keeping with Guppyman's underwater theme, and also because it's her birth sign (and some days her personality), she will henceforth be known as Crabgirl. Her surgery was a fundoplication, which makes the opening of the esophagus into the stomach smaller. She has coughed all her life from allergies, but lately the coughing is so constant and painful, especially after she eats, that she just couldn't live that way anymore. Apparently this is acid reflux in the extreme.

The surgery was laproscopic, so she has five tiny star-shaped incisions, and no big scar. Of course, Kritter & I started calling her a Star-Bellied Sneetch. If any of you don't know, The Sneetches is a charming story by Dr. Seuss about discrimination:

"The Star-Bellied Sneetches had bellies with stars.
The Plain-Bellied Sneetches had none upon thars."

The Star-Bellies thought they were "the best kind of Sneetches on beaches" until a con man with a star-off-star-on machine kept everyone running through the machine until they were out of money, at which point he left. No one could tell who was who anymore, so they all got along after that.

[Sorry, I digress. I just have a thing for Dr. Seuss.] Crabgirl is excited because the liquid diet she will have to be on for a while, plus her slightly smaller stomach, means she will probably lose some weight. Once upon a time, and when we were all adults, Crabgirl, her sister Dolphin, and I could have gotten on a scale together and it wouldn't have hit 300 pounds. Sadly, those days are behind us ... and in front of us... and on either side...

This morning I used my new hair straightener. I dutifully read the directions, including the safety warnings. One of them was "Do not use while sleeping." Doggone, I planned to save 30 minutes every day by straightening my hair while I slept! Another was "Do not use in the shower", so there goes Plan B, washing and straightening it at the same time. You always figure there's a lawsuit behind the stranger warnings, and wouldn't you love to know what caused the do-not-use-while-sleeping one?!

HAVE A GREAT DAY, EVERYONE!

posted at 8:34 AM
Comments (6)



6 Comments:
At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope your daughter is doing well, it actually sounds like it going to leave a cute little scar.
i'd love to get one of those straighteners, how are you finding yours?

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

Kind of like "do not work while sleeping."

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Tracy S said...

I really want to see the person that used that while asleep in the shower..lmao

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger gal artist said...

I hope your daughter recovers quickly. I had laparoscope surgery a few years ago, not the same problem, but you can't even see the scars, one is like a dot and the other is in my belly button.

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I saw your comment on Wendy Wings and was intrigued by your photo, so I thought I'd stop by for a second and say I came to Wendy Wings via Nichele and now I've just added a new wrinkle. Leave a comment for the person above your comment where Michele sent you! Hope that makes sense! Good to pay you a visit,Dave.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger True Jersey Girl said...

Hope Crabgirl is doing fine, and that the liquid diet works out for her ;) Damn, I have been sleeping while using my straightener all this time - is that why I have those burn marks on my pillow?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Surgery, Baseball & Hope
Pondering the Imponderables
Happy Birthday, Kritter!
Mitey Mite Cooks!
Oh, What a Beautiful Morning
Chula
How to Stop the Hurricanes
Cars, Wrecks and Road Trips
So What's Your Sign?
Farewell to Astroworld



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: