Monday, October 31, 2005
Cars, Wrecks and Road Trips

This is my car. The good thing about it is that it is a company car, and they pay for everything: payments, insurance, gas, oil, repairs, tires, even car washes. The bad thing is that this car hates me.

Just a few months after I got the car, I was driving down a two-lane road. There was a car coming the opposite way. Unfortunately, that car blocked my view of the deer on the side of the road, and blocked her view of me. We became aware of each other as she smashed into the side of my car. She managed to get off the road, and a couple of weeks later the Professor told me he saw a limping deer who was extremely cautious of the traffic, so I think she survived. The damage was pretty minimal, but visible. I confess to waiting several months to get the body work done because it gave me such a good way to bond with my customers. They'd ask, "What happened to your car?"; I'd shrug and answer "Got my first deer."

Two weeks after I had the deer damage fixed, I was in Alexandria LA. It was after 5:00, and I was downtown, looking for my hotel. I could see through four stoplights, and the road was completely clear. I started across the intersection, actually had my front wheels all the way through, when WHAM, I was hit. Some woman had pulled out of a driveway, yakking on her cell phone, obviously speeding and not paying a bit of attention. She never honked, never hit her brakes, but apparently opened her eyes at the last second and yanked the wheel. Again, there was minimal damage to my car, but hers had to be towed away. When the cop arrived, he hugged her. Then the cop who relieved him turned out to be her brother-in-law. Guess who got the ticket?

The scary thing is that I am five feet tall, and if the law were based on height instead of age, I would be required to ride in the back seat. If my air bag ever goes off, I will die. I'm not sure if my car is trying to kill me, or just messing with my head. GM cannot put a pedal extension on the car. I only have to drive this for another 20,000 miles and I'll get a new one. I'll try to get one with a pedal extension, but I'll certainly get one that isn't gray.


This is the Professor's car. It cost more than 4 of the 6 houses I've owned! He wanted a midnight blue, but they were all sold, so he bought the yellow because it's my favorite color. And is it a chick magnet -- everyone from the little old ladies at my mother's retirement community to my 7 year old granddaughter flirts with him to get a ride.

In June, the Professor took a road trip. He was headed for the experimental aircraft show in Wisconsin, but he drove there by way of Florida.
Then he headed up to Mackinac Island in Michigan. From there, he went to the air show, then up to the Iron Range in Minnesota, and westward from there to Montana. In Montana, he made a right turn up to Canada, then went west again. Somewhere in Canada a Mountie stopped him and said "I caught you fair and square; you were speeding." He still didn't get a ticket! (That's the other thing about this car; cops don't want to ticket it.) The Professor got to Alaska, in fact as far north as the paved road went, but was disappointed he couldn't get to Dead Horse. His return home was down through Washington, Utah, Nebraska, among others. He ended up putting 13,000 miles on the car. Most people wonder why he did this, but it's obvious to me: this is the road trip all teenage boys want to take. It just took him a few extra years to have the time and money to do it. Also, I tend to want the top up if I am dressed up, and that frustrates him. He made that entire trip with the top down, except for the time he was caught in a snowstorm, and even then he didn't put it up until the cockpit started to fill up with snow. I am very happy he got to take the trip, and even happier that I didn't have to do it with him! Three weeks in a car --- yech.

posted at 7:59 AM
Comments (7)



7 Comments:
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Tracy S said...

I will be glad when you get a new one also ....That car has to many blind spots for us short people.How long do you think it will take you to get 20,000? Maybe you should take a road trip ..lol

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger jen said...

I enjoy reading your posts- they are quite amusing. I actually live very close to the EAA in WI.

The professor's car is quite the beauty, I must say. A friend of mine was able to get a great deal on one exactly like that - or at least it looks just like your photo. I am not much of a car buff myself, but after driving that thing, I was willing to trade in my Pontiac in a second (not like I could get anything for it)!

I am sure he totally enjoyed that trip of a lifetime and good for you for not having to go along!! :)

 
At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hate my car too, even more so cuz mine isn't a company car. men and their cars, i don't get it at all. i can understand why the professor would want to drive that baby, sweet!

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Beanhead said...

I agree with Stormi a good long road trip and will help add up those miles. Love the yellow!

 
At 1:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a cross road close to home and I can hardly see if somebody is coming because of the blind spot when looking to the right...I don't like it at all. I am 5'2 and last year a driver on the opposite lane lost control of his car and continued driving until he frontally found me... I had no way to go to the right (because of a cement wall) and even if I had had , it all happened too fast. I wanted to tell you that my airbag went off and I didn't even notice it either...It's only a second, I guess.I saw it afterwards. The yellow car reminded me of "the difference between a man and a boy is the price of his toy!!
Thanks for your comment!

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Wow, what a road trip. I would have never made it with the top down. We intentionally did not get my husband's car with a convertible top. It is the hard top version. Check out his blog at: http://tfsternsrantings.blogspot.com/2005/10/probable-cause.html to see what he got. I think our men are going thru male menopause and this is what they think they must have. We bought it on ebay and flew up to Philly so that he could drive it home. He was like a kid in a candy store. I don't think I had ever seen him so happy.

Sorry that you are having such a time with your car. It does sound like it is protesting.

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Ramona said...

Too bad the professor didn't take YOUR car on his road trip to crank up those miles! Then you'd only have 7,000 more to go before youc ould get rid of "Carrie!" (That was a funny comment up above!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

So What's Your Sign?
Farewell to Astroworld
First Kiss With a Twist
Here's to the Good Guys
The Glamorous Life of a Salesman
What Is The Matter With This Woman!
Tough Loss!
Meme'd!
Friday's Flowers
Monday Morning Ramblings



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: