Monday, October 24, 2005
First Kiss With a Twist
There seem to be a lot of "my first kiss" posts, and I am going to add one more. To be technical, this wasn't my first kiss -- I have no idea when that might have been -- but this was the first one that meant so much.

I sat in the car while he climbed a tree to pick some mistletoe for me, and marveled at his agility and bravery. (I was 14, okay? It seemed downright chivalrous to me.) When he returned to the car, he held the bunch of mistletoe over my head and said "Let's see if this stuff works." I probably don't need to tell you that: A) I never saw that line coming, at least not on a concious level, and
B) I thought it was the most brilliant thing I'd ever heard. I had a very serious case of infatuation.

To this day, I can see the shafts of pale winter sunlight streaming into the car. I can remember that "cold air smell" that came with him. I can feel the roughness of his palms on my face, and the texture of his jacket under my hands. His face was cold, but his lips were warm. The sensations stirred up by that kiss were so new, so unexpected, and so incredibly wonderful that it really was one of those I-could-have-died-right-then moments.

I debated whether or not to tell the sequel to this story, but I guess it's the honest thing to do. I got in touch with him many years later, after my divorce, "just to wish him a happy birthday". He was single, we had so much in common, and I was beginning to think we were going to pick up where we left off when he told me "After we broke up and I thought about you and your brother and our friends, I realized ... I prefer boys."

posted at 6:25 AM
Comments (6)



6 Comments:
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Beanhead said...

Oh my goodness that last line totally caught me off guard and I almost choked on my fruity pebbles...:)

Great story!

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Bitch from Hell said...

hey hun, sorry I haven't been here to read in a couple of days, and i haven't blogged either.... lol
went to field trip today, and have much chores to get done, before we can carve pumpkins, sooooo i will chat with ya tomorrow....
take it easy,, and i will come back and read later this evening, i just stopped in to say hello.

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Mitey Mite said...

That last line was pretty unexpected for me, too! I managed to sqeak out something like "Well, you sound happy, goodbye." I was at work, and I was ready to run into the bathroom and cry my eyes out ... when my evil twin took over and reminded me of what a great story this would mkae. I spent the rest of the day reducing my customers to helpless laughter with lines like "I thought he wanted me, but it turns out he really wanted my brother" and "Gee, we still have so much in common -- we're both turned on by men" and "All these years I've been too masculine for any of the men I've known, but I wasn't man enough for him".

In all fairness, he's done much better in the relationship department than I have. When we last talked to each other, he'd been with the same person for close to 40 years. He really is a nice guy and I mean him no harm, but I just can't resist the humor in this situation.

 
At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can still remember my first real kiss, it was with my first boyfriend in grade 7. he knew alot more about kissing than i did. i have no idea where he is now or what he's doing, i still run into the odd old boyfriend from high school, to my knowledge, they all still prefer women!

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Tracy S said...

LMAO ..oh my that sucks ....I wonder how many of my ex's have turn to the ol Hersey Highway of Love?Yikes ...I think I will go off to wonder about something else ..lol

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger Star said...

My first kiss also decided he liked men as an adult. Not til after he had married a girl we knew in high school.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Here's to the Good Guys
The Glamorous Life of a Salesman
What Is The Matter With This Woman!
Tough Loss!
Meme'd!
Friday's Flowers
Monday Morning Ramblings
Transylvania
I Feel Pretty -- Oh, So Pretty
We All Do It



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: