Monday, November 14, 2005
Thunder Storms
The other day there was a storm out in the bay that produced deep gray-blue clouds. The light filtering through made all the colors so intense. Everything stood out in relief, and it was almost like being inside a painting. It made me think of this picture.

I took this last year when we went to Africa. We had flown that morning from the Samburu National Reserve to the Masai Mara on the northern end of the Serengetti. Our guides were driving the Land Rovers and supplies to the Mara, so we had a different guide that afternoon. He didn't take us very far and we didn't see huge herds of animals, just small groups here and there. (Turned out they were all at the Mara River, but that's another story.) A storm was brewing, so he was heading back to camp when I hollered "Stop!"

Guide: Do you see something?
Me: Yes, I want a picture of that tree.
Guide: The tree?
Me: Yes. the tree. Can you move the truck so I can get a good shot?
Guide (obviously not believing this): You want to take a picture of THAT tree?
Me: Van Gogh would have painted this! It's the most incredible light I've ever seen. I have to have a picture.

One other person decided it was a good shot to take; the rest just sat there looking at me like I was a nut case. But it's one of my favorite pictures now, and I even enlarged it and put it in my office. What is it about the light when there's a storm brewing?

Ooh, maybe that's a metaphor for my life right now. The ex-DIL has been lurking on PresentStorm's blog and suddenly posted anonymous comments blasting Stormii. You know, if you're going to snoop, you probably won't like everything you find. There were a bunch of comments posted back and forth, including one of mine. The ex-DIL/roommate/alter ego accused me of having thinly disguised hostility. I have many, many reasons for hostility toward her. Whether she does it deliberately or accidentally, she has caused so much pain in my family. I'm not just talking about the divorce. I strongly suspect she's reading my blog, and she knows what she's done, although she probably doesn't even count all the times she upset my mother on purpose. But yesterday, in the midst of all this, she called and said the Little Angel had a fever, she had no medicine, the LA was too sick to go to the store, and she couldn't reach anyone. (She never even tried Guppy.) I went to the store, bought the medicine, GAVE it to her, and was as polite as I could be. And that is how it always will be. The Little Angel is the important thing. But I would have to be some kind of idiot to ever trust her mother again.

posted at 4:16 AM
Comments (3)



3 Comments:
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Star said...

Gorgeous photo. Wow, a trip to Africa. I would love to hear more about that. Any other great photos from that trip?

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that photo is beautiful, i love the way the sky looks in the background and you're probably right, your ex-dil is probably lurking on your blog and i left a comment there as well, so she'll probably check me out too. just keep telling yourself, the most important person right now is that little girl.

 
At 6:05 AM, Blogger gal artist said...

It's always the little ones that should come first, you did the right thing. I would do the same.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Friday Ramblings
Surgery, Baseball & Hope
Pondering the Imponderables
Happy Birthday, Kritter!
Mitey Mite Cooks!
Oh, What a Beautiful Morning
Chula
How to Stop the Hurricanes
Cars, Wrecks and Road Trips
So What's Your Sign?



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: