Thursday, January 12, 2006
The Trouble With Taxis
Last August, I went to visit my college roommate in San Francisco. She told me I could get a limo at the airport that would deliver me to her door, and it would only cost $15. Before I got into the limo, I asked if they went out to the Presidio, and was told yes, but it would be the last stop. A few more people got in, and off we went.

The driver delivered people to several hotels in downtown S.F. While he was unloading some suitcases, he got a call to pick up a party at a nearby hotel. He didn't hear the radio, but as we set off for the Presidio, his phone rang, obviously with the same message. I noticed his discomfort as he agreed. We were getting into a pretty seedy part of town -- strip clubs, a few winos, some tough-looking people hanging out on the sidewalks. Suddenly he announced "This is Presidio Park; this is where you get out." Now I don't know San Francisco well, but I do know what the Presidio looks like, and this was definitely not it. We argued a bit, but he was adamant: I was getting out of the limo. As he opened the door he said "I won't charge you anything" and I replied "It's a damn good thing, because I won't pay you anything." I may -- just possibly -- have added a few unladylike words.

So here I was, on the sidewalk with a suitcase in a not very nice part of town. Talk about a magnet for muggers! I spotted a run-down hotel and was heading for it, figuring I would call a cab and wait for it in the lobby, when I heard "Miss?" I turned around to see a tiny, elderly Chinese man. He was shorter than I am (and I am only 5') and about as big around as my arm. He flashed what I suspect was his driver's license, and told me he was a licensed taxi driver. I got no bad vibes from him, and frankly, I figured if necessary, I could whip him, so I got in his car. No meter, obviously not a taxi, but he agreed to take me to the Presidio for $15, and he did. He saw an opportunity to make some money, and I got where I was going, so it all worked out.

On Tuesday of this week, I flew to Baltimore for a meeting at our factory. I had been told that I could go check in at the hotel and they would give me a ride to the factory when I was ready. Well, the hotel informed me that they absolutely would not give me a ride (although I found out later that they had done it for another salesman the previous day -- guess he was a lot cuter) and they called me a cab. As the cab driver pulled out of the parking lot, I told him he was going the wrong way, but he assured me that he knew the way. Our factory is at most a 10 minute drive from the hotel. It took us 45 minutes . The driver finally admited to being totally lost, and it took the dispatcher and my rudimentary knowledge of the area to guide him there. The meter read $36; I gave him $10, and think I was probably a sucker for doing that.

You think maybe I should stay out of taxis from now on?

posted at 4:26 PM
Comments (9)



9 Comments:
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

It doesn't look like you have much luck with them. I remember one time when we went to Las Vegas, that we took a taxi down to the old strip. The cab driver drove all over the place just to run up the meter. My husband said that we were going to take a bus going back, and we did. Much cheaper and really kind of fun. Good luck next time.

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Bitch from Hell said...

omg, so funny you should speak of taxis. i think all cab drivers are scum. nothing personal, it just seems to be true. but then again i live in the greater seattle area! lol. but just last week i had a cabbie pull up in fron of my house and procede to drop his drawers and pee everywhere alongside of a tree....... hmm, wonder why he couldnt stop at a gas station? i guess a dead end is better??? grrrr.... i can't stand cabbies. you poor thing, no, i dont believe you should ride in a cab ever again! hmph! lol :)

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i haven't had to take a cab for years, fortunately. maybe you need a personal chauffeur.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger wildpic said...

imagine a world without them ? ... damn, convenience and crazy convenience are cousins, avoid them as much as possible.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

A cabbie that doesn't know where he's going is worthless. I've never had it happen and I've been all over NY & SF in cabs. Maybe you should call ahead for a cab and make sure the driver knows where your destination is.

Just be careful!!

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Ramona said...

OMG. It almost sounds like you were lost and taken advantage of in a foreign country!
I think you + cabs is definitely not a good combination.
Maybe you should hitchhike. Your odds of getting there are about the same!

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger gal artist said...

I can't even remember the last time I took a cab. I know the ones here all look scary and the cars look even worse. No thanks.

Hey, I am only 5' tall too, isn't it great when you meet someone smaller, it makes me feel tall.

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger rauf said...

I had to attend a funeral In Bangalore Mitey Mite, about 350 KMs from Chennai where I live, I took a train, Reached Bangalore in the morning, gave the address and location to the taxi driver as I was not familiar with the town, this was in the 60's I reached the place after an hour's ride. and thetaxi fare was pretty heavy. After the funeral wanted to take the night train back to my place and I asked for a taxi, Why do you need a taxi ? some one asked, the
Railway station is just across the bridge. Less than 5 minute's walk, and in the morning taxi driver took me for an hour's ride. Felt like a fool

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Beanhead said...

I am scared of taxis the last time I ws in one it cost me $45.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow
Doing the Four Things Meme
More Pictures from Switzerland
Our Wonderful Swiss Ski Trip
I Have a New Kid!
Okay, I'm Almost Ready for Christmas Now!!!
Money Trees & Merry Christmas!
We're on the Final Countdown
End of a Tough Week
Tough Week Ahead!



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: