Monday, July 10, 2006
Oh Deer!
Early this morning, just about daybreak, I opened my front door to see if the morning paper had arrived. What I saw, about ten feet from me, was a deer. I ran to get my camera, but by the time I got back with it, she had moved into the neighbor's yard. I tracked her stealthily, but about the time I crossed into the yard next door, I realized I was wearing a pajama top and bright red bikini panties -- and we have a lot of early-morning joggers. In fact, I could hear footsteps coming around the corner, so I beat a hasty retreat. I did NOT want anyone losing their breakfast in front of my house, or worse, breaking into uncontrollable laughter at the sight.

We have a lot of deer in the area, but they have just started coming onto our street. They are being squeezed out of the woods by construction of a massive container port a couple of miles away. I will spare you the rant I normally go into about the Port of Houston Authority, and this project.

One year we went skiing in Banff Canada, and the town was full of elk. In one town, Jasper, I think, they had to build fences around the trees because the elk were eating everything in sight. They bedded down on the courthouse lawn, and let's just say everything was well fertilized. I love deer, but if they start dining on my plants, will my admiration for them change? After all, when I lived in Waco, some adorable little wild rabbits started munching on my petunias, and overnight became "those damn rodents."

We used to feed our cats outside, until the possum starting lining up at dinnertime. Those things have some long claws, and I've never seen one play possum. They would hiss at me when I swatted them with a broom, and the cats were terrified of them. We also get racoons and armadillo on a regualar basis. So deer sound pretty good by comparison. I guess if they start feeding on my plants, I'll just have to get some corn for them.

posted at 3:20 PM
Comments (4)



4 Comments:
At 6:47 AM, Blogger guppyman said...

That wasn't exactly the picture I wanted running through my head either.... Poor joggers!

 
At 12:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, i bet you looked cute in your red undies! I love seeing wildlife in my neighborhood, we get coyotes, raccoons, skunks and possums - the possums here seem pretty tame and I have seen a few play dead! We took a shovel to scoop up a dead baby possum once and it ran away.

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger gal artist said...

I find it sad that the wild creatures are being displaced by all the building.

I probably would tried to get a picture too. Hm, maybe not in my underwear though. LOL

 
At 12:00 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

The deer are being displaced by "growth" in our area too. I hate to see them squeezed out of there home. They lose their food sources too and they have to go looking for it in other places. I would suggest you go buy some corn. Good luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Saturday Photo Hunt: Signs
Thursday Thirteen
Wordless Wednesday
The IRS Has Morals?
Saturday Photo Hunt: Automobiles
Thursday Thirteen
Wordless Wednesday
Texas Insanity
Saturday Photo Hunt: Love
Thursday Thirteen



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: