Tuesday, January 02, 2007
I Did It! Have You Done It, Too?
Yes, I did. Not once, but four times. I spent all these years thinking it was a terrible, nasty thing to do, but, you know, all the stuff you see and read finally wore me down. So I did it. And it was great! I'll do it again and again, every chance I get!

I'm speaking, of course, of re-gifting. But you knew that, didn't you? After all these years, I realized that every year some gifts are like the leftovers in the refrigerator -- you know, the ones you don't use but you can't throw away with a clear conscience until they are evolving into an intelligent life form. I would hang on to them, tell myself I'd use them someday, and eventually donate them to charity. (The gifts, not the leftovers.)

I started innocently enough. I bought myself a DVD player and case, thinking I would leave it in my trunk, and play exercise tapes on it when I was on trips. Then Guppy pointed out that my laptop plays DVDs. Now if there's one thing I don't need, it's more stuff to haul into the hotel room. I was ready to return it when I noticed that the case unzipped into a little shelf, and by attaching it to the back of the front car seat, you could entertain whiny children in the back seat. Light bulbs over the head! The Professor's son does not have a DVD player in his car! The perfect gift! So I wrapped it up for them. See, it wasn't totally re-gifting. Just because I didn't originally buy it with them in mind didn't make it leftovers.

Ah, what a slippery slope rationalization is. The next thing I knew, I received a mobile work station, which is actually storage on wheels, that I apparently won at Employee Appreciation Day. Without a moment's hesitation, I slipped a large gift bag over it and put Guppy's name on it.

I also won a clock that makes bird sounds every hour when I was at the factory in December. I left it behind, but they shipped it to me. I debated that one for a while, but decided the Prof's DIL would like it. I think she did. She grinned from ear to ear.

Then I did the unthinkable. Someone brought me a lovely Christmas soap dispenser and hand towel. It was really nice, but I already have two Christmas soap dispensers that I usually forget to put out, and it was a totally different theme than the one(s) I already have going. So when I realized that the Prof's daughter's present is a day at a spa, leaving her nothing to open, I whisked out the bag, wrote her name on the fortunately blank tag, and gave it to her, towel, soap dispenser, bag, confetti and all. I suspect I may burn in hell for that one, or at least have a lot of explaining to do to St. Peter. But she seemed very pleased with it, and, I think, quite surprised at how much my taste had improved.

So there you have the story of my descent into re-gifting. So come on, tell me, have you done it, too?

posted at 5:59 PM
Comments (5)



5 Comments:
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Star said...

I atually have a closet where we put gift received that we know weren't meant for us. Many a last minutegift has come out of that closet. I know Guppy reads your blog, how about the rest of the re-giftees?

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Mitey Mite said...

Not to worry. I already told Guppy what I did. The others don't read this --- I don't think.

 
At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i should re-gift, but i'm not organized enough.
love the look of your page!
happy new year.

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guppy doesn't care how much thought/money/etc... goes into gifts... the real question is.. "Can I use it"? If so... It's great! If not... watch out... you may get it wrapped up from me later.

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Tracy S said...

I have done it plenty :) Why let things go to waste when you know someone that would love it or atleast appreciate it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Happy New Year!
Wordless Wednesday
Wordless Wednesday
The Real Me
I'm Still Around!
Saturday Photo Hunt: Red
Wordless Wednesday
Saturday Photo Hunt: Lights
A Congressman Grabbed My Breast!
Wordless Wednesday



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: