Tuesday, May 29, 2007
And a Lovely Time Was Had By All
What a nice Memorial Day weekend! The Professor left Friday morning to drive to Louisville KY. The thought of two days in a Corvette just didn't appeal to me -- I'm no fun anymore, I know -- so I flew up there on Saturday. The flight was an hour late in leaving, so the Professor was waiting for me, instead of me waiting for him.

We went to dinner with PresentStorm's cousin, his wife, and his younger son T -Man, who is 8. T-Man has cerebral palsy and is confined to a wheelchair. He has a smile that lights up the room, a sunny disposition, and an adorable personality. I met him only once, at Guppy and Stormii's wedding, but I simply fell in love with him and have kept in touch with birthday and post cards. The Professor could not make the wedding, so this was his first time to meet T-Man, and he was as charmed as I am. After dinner, he asked if he could give T-Man a ride in the Vette. Now T-Man cannot even hold himself upright, but his dad, God love him, said he would sit in the seat and hold T-Man on his lap. The instant T-Man heard he was going for a ride, he started pouring out "Thank you! Oh, thank you!" The Professor said he grinned through the whole ride, and when they returned T-Man was saying "I want to go again!"

On Sunday we drove up to Indianapolis for the race. Everything was going great until the rain started. We hung around for a while, but our calculations said that even if the rain stopped immediately, it would take them at least an hour to dry the track -- first they use big squeegies, then giant hair dryers on wheels -- and they would probably be on the outer edge of time to re-start. They had run 111 laps at that point, so it counted as the official race. So off we went to a lovely little restaurant we know there. We were just finishing up our meal when the people at the next table announced that the race was re-starting. We hauled back to the track, but by the time we got there we realized we couldn't park and get into the stadium in time to see the final lap.

Monday morning we went to Churchill Downs and took the walking tour. They were going to have horse races, starting at 1:15 -- and my flight home was at 2:25, so I couldn't stay for the races. I have never seen a horse race, and Churchill Downs seemed like such a perfect place to see the first one.

As it turned out, I would have had plenty of time to watch the races. They called my flight; we got right to the door of the plane and were told that there was bad weather in Houston and we would delay about 15 minutes before boarding. After a few minutes, we boarded the plane, were all buckled in and ready to go when they announced that it would be a 2 to 3 hour delay. So we got off the plane and hung around for hours, finally taking off at 5:30. It turned out to be a longer travel day than I anticipated (and the cats had quite a bit to say about that when I finally made it home), but all in all, it was a lovely weekend.

posted at 7:16 AM
Comments (1)



1 Comments:
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Star said...

Personally, I'm always up for a road trip. And in a Vette! Tell the professor to call me next time(only kidding) Sounds like a fun weekend. You guy really get out and do things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Saturday Photo Hunt: Colorful
Thursday Thirteen
Wordless Wednesday
Can I Just Shoot the Professor?
Wordless Wednesday: Angel Slides
Mother's Day
Saturday Photo Hunt: Five
Saturday Photo Hunt: Childhood
Wordless Wednesday:The Cookie Monsters
Le Puff, Le Pant



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: