Monday, June 18, 2007
Monday Musings
On Thursday, the builder surveyed the water damage in the den and loft, and concluded that it wasn't as bad as he feared. However, he, the Professor and the city inspector are in agreement that the roof needs to be rebuilt from the rafters up. Evidently the builder's foreman redesigned the roof structure on the fly, and everyone liked his plan. So we are waiting for the city inspector to sign off on it. One small problem: the Professor left this morning for a three-week trip to India. With any luck, he can get the drawings by email and approve them. I am totally immersed in colors, textures and features, and I don't really know much about what is actually holding the house up, so I am doing all I can to duck this part. But any choices to be made in the next three weeks will be mine, and if the Professor complains about them later, well, he should have stayed home. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Meanwhile, I have packed up some stuff and taken it to storage, and moved some other stuff around. There is a piano in my entry hall, an entertainment center in the master bath, a foosball table in the kitchen, and an air hockey table in the bedroom. Let's just say I can't leap out of bed and run blindly to the bathroom in the dark. Soon I will have to rent a U-Haul and move this big stuff into storage, but I'm trying to get all the little stuff first. And there is so much little stuff! Get rid of it, you say? How could I part with the tin can that Guppy covered with tissue paper when he was 2, or the drawings my grandchildren did for me, or the admittedly scruffy-looking wind chimes my mother gave me?

Saturday night Prof and I went to the ballet (we have season tickets -- God love him, the Professor is one of those rare men who enjoys ballet.) Sunday afternoon I took Present Storm, the Little Angel, Astro Princess and her two little cousins to the same ballet. Good thing I really love ballet, huh! It is such a joy for me to see people discover the beauty of it. This one was Coppelia, and if it comes to a theater near you, by all means take a little girl to see it -- it's lively and funny and there are no long pas de deux (whatever the plural of that is) to bore little kids. Afterwards, we always go to the green room where the kids can get autographs and have their picture taken with the dancers. Dancers have to pay their dues like everyone, so it's the up and comers not yet ready for prime time who dance the matinees. There was a big difference in the male leads, but the girl who danced the matinee has real talent and was almost as good as the star who danced the night before. I told her she did a good job and got a breezy "Oh thanks" in return. "No" I said, "you don't understand; I was here last night [at this point her jaw dropped slightly and her eyes widened] and you did a Very. Good. Job." This time her thank you came from the heart. I could tell she was really pleased by the compliment, and that made me feel good.

An empty boat washed up not far from here over the weekend. Just a couple fishing for the day. They found one body, but not the other. There has been a chopper flying low back and forth along the shoreline of the bay all morning; I'm pretty sure they're looking for the other body. It makes me realize how uncertain life is, and that I need to cherish every moment of mine. Even the ones where I stub my toe on the entertainment center in the bathroom!

posted at 9:34 AM
Comments (5)



5 Comments:
At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We saw the chopper yesterday and saw the boats looking.... crazy stuff. I wasn't sure what had happened until i saw it on the news this morning.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Star said...

An entertainment center in the master bath !?! my husband would be in heaven!

 
At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lee was hoping he wasn't going to have to search for the other body today at work...

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Ally said...

Doesn't the entertainment centre in the bathroom breach some sort of electrical health-and-safety rules? :).

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Tracy S said...

Did you get the ballet pics I e-mailed ya from Gups address?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

The Remodeling Begins
Paranoia, Self - Destroya
Saturday Photo Hunt: Shoes
Thursday Thirteen
Wordless Wednesday
Saturday Photo Hunt: Art
Hearts and Flowers
Wordless Wednesday
And a Lovely Time Was Had By All
Saturday Photo Hunt: Colorful



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: