Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Funerals are for the Families
We buried my uncle at Arlington National Cemetary yesterday with full military honors. He was a veteran of both World War II and Korea. He was a pilot; he built several airplanes; he tried out for the U.S. Olympic fencing team; he was a hypnotist; he was a chiropractor; he was a member of the Confederate Air Force; he held several patents and thought of a lot more inventions that he never got around to patenting. He was a very intelligent, very creative and very charming man. But his legacy was pain and destruction.

Two families, five kids, all of them completely abandoned -- no child support, no phone calls, no birthday cards. We spent the last two days swapping stories, sharing tears and some laughter. As we all weighed in with our memories, some things became more clear. We think we figured out some truths that my uncle tried to hide.

His only daughter was the only child who ever knew her father at all. Although he was gone a lot with the Navy, he did come home occasionally until she was 10, when he left for good. It hurt to watch all the emotions warring within her: pride in his service, sorrow at his death, anger and hurt at the way she was treated, yearning still for what should have been. I know that most of us have some baggage from our childhood, but it seems to me that my cousins got far more than their share.
But here's the part that just fascinated me. It's seemed for a long time that my brother and I must have been raised in parallel universes because we are as different as two people can be. But it turns out that our childhood memories are different, too. Some of that came from different experiences -- for example, he was the only one our grandmother liked, so he did not see her as the mean, selfish woman the rest of us knew -- but it turns out that family members alter the narrative to suit the audience. Something my mother had always told me about my grandfather came as a complete shock to my brother; so much so that he called my mother and asked about it. And she admitted it ... sort of ... in a vague way ... with qualifications ... "well, yes, but ... " I had witnessed, but at age 16 really didn't know how to stop, abominable treatment of one cousin by my grandmother, but he changed the details of the story when he told it to the others so that it was just a pleasant encounter. In fact, I was amazed later in the evening when he admitted to me that his memories of the incident matched mine.
I think I've figured out two things: I don't trust much of what I hear, and always check the facts as best I can. And I overwhelm people with detail when our memories differ -- "you were wearing your Spiderman shirt and we had just rolled down the hill on that big barrel" -- mostly, I realize now, to reassure myself that what I remember is what really happened.
What about your family? Are the stories always the same, or do they change depending on the audience?


posted at 8:49 PM
Comments (3)



3 Comments:
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Star said...

Family certainly is interesting , isn't it? Mine has been fractured into non-eistence, so I don't tradde memories with anyone. My family is my husband and kids. Life is simpler that way.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger kaylee said...

I have done this myself.
I would never let my son
know what a mean women my mother
was.
She hated me and my father
and never let me forget it.
She adored my son and showered
him with love and gifts.
Better to let sleeping dogs lie,
and truth in some cases serve
no one.
After all it is all written on
the wind,
and 10,000 years from now
who will care.

But that is just me.
kay lee

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger deni said...

First, I am sorry about your uncle, a loss is still a loss, and each person has good and bad qualities.

As for memories, I think every one has a different perspective, what can be awful for one person, another may not remember at all, or it may not seem as awful to them.

Sometimes, my sister and I share memories, basically, we do remember a lot of the same things, but there are things I remember that she doesn't, and visa versa. Sometimes, she will mention something and I will get a weird visual in my mind of the event, but I don't remember details, but then she is older than me, so things from when I was very small, she has a better memory of.

I have an aunt though, who always insists that things happened just as she remembers them, or worse, not at all, and she will call you a liar when you try and tell her that you remember something differently, or something she doesn't remember. I don't say much to her anymore when it comes to the past.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Made Me Laugh
Did I Really Say That?
It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Kitchen
Driven to Poetry
Well, At Least My Life Is Interesting
Some Expensive Evening
Notes From the Front Lines
Coasters and Bathrooms and Meetings, Oh My!
Decisions, Decisions
Eclipse



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: