Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Ships and Birds and Tortoises
I'm ba-a-a-ack! We had a wonderful time in the Galapagos Islands, although I seem to have left half my brain behind. I have done the following just this morning:

--- Sent an inquiry to someone at the factory who quit the company several months ago.

--- Could not remember my sign-in name for blogger; finally had to pretend that I was going to comment on someone's blog so it would tell me what my name is.

We were on a boat called the Evolution. It had 15 cabins, a lounge, a nice-sized dining room, an outdoor bar, a hot tub and various decks and alleys. The lounge probably took up half the upper deck, but it was only used for the nightly briefings. When we weren't hiking or snorkeling, we were in the dining room, in the bar, or on the deck looking at the stars. On the clear nights, the view was absolutely incredible. We were in the middle of nowhere, literally, with no lights to spoil the view. The milky way is so visible, and it turns out there is something called zodiacal light, which is a triangle of light that ... um, points to something in the zodiac ... the Professor explainted this to me in great detail, but all I remember is being amazed that there really was a triangle of light in the sky. (Well, I told you we were spending a lot of time in the bar!)

I am an early riser no matter where I am or what I am doing, so I saw the sun rise every morning. I also watched them raise the anchor, a sound which functioned as an unpleasant alarm clock for those still asleep, but which I found fascinating. The food was very good; in fact, we asked for several recipes. Twice a day we would load onto two rubber rafts, which they called pangas, and head to an island where we would either hike or snorkel along the coast. Oddly, the best snorkeling was in the rain, a trip I almost didn't make until I realized that it made no sense to worry about getting wet while I was in the water. There were huge schools of gorgeous tropical fish; there were starfish and sting rays and manta rays and eagle rays; there were sea lions and penguins swimming under and around us. One guy who was in incredible shape jumped out of the panga one day and caught up to a pod of dolphins and swam with them. He said one dolphin came up from behind him, looked him in the eye, and clicked at him. We are pretty sure the dolphin was saying "Nice job, human."

The animals are totally unafraid of people. Some of the beaches are full of sea lions, some of marine iguanas. And then there are the boobies -- blue-footed, red-footed, masked. They really do have a mating dance, which in the case of the masked boobies consisted of alternately throwing their heads in the air and nuzzling each other. The pace increases, then they start cooing along with the head movements. It gets faster and faster; then he jumps on her back. You can tell when things are successful because he starts flapping his wings. We apparently witnessed a young male boobie getting some for the first time in his life because after he hopped off he threw his head in the air and let out a noise that sounded exactly like "Woo-hoo!" I didn't see that behavior from any other male, and believe me, I saw enough boobie sex to last a lifetime.

Fortunately, I didn't have to get involved with Lonesome George, the tortoise. Biologists were trying to mate him, but none of the females they brought in interested him. They were very concerned, so in order to capture his sperm they hired a young grad student to manually ... um, stimulate him. Apparently George was very picky and they went through several young women before they found one who was successful. No matter how bad my days might get from now on, I can always comfort myself with the knowledge that at least I'm doing better than those poor grad students!

I have to quit for now, but I promise pictures soon.

posted at 9:08 AM
Comments (2)



2 Comments:
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Star said...

What a great trip.I am sooo jealous! I hope your pictue sincludes shots of boobie sex.And the grad students! Imagine putting that on your resume.

 
At 7:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can just imagine the disappointed people coming here after googling "boobie sex" and finding this post....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Gr-r-r-r-r-r
Careless of Me
Tales of a Road Warrior
It's Really Not Their Fault
This and That
At Last!
It Will Be Down to the Wire
The Man of my Dreams
It's My Birthday and I'll Complain If I Want To
I Can't Sleep, Anyway



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: