Thursday, November 29, 2007
It's My Birthday and I'll Complain If I Want To
I hate to be negative all the time, but it's two weeks since my last post and the only thing that has changed in my house is that the carpenter put the steps and part of the railing in. We haven't seen him since last Wednesday -- or anyone else for that matter -- except the painters came sometime yesterday and got their ladders, which they had left here thinking that they would be painting the inside in just a day or two. I feel frustrated and murderous and depressed, all at the same time.



All my furniture is in, but I've had to tell the stores that we're not ready. The sofas and dining room chairs were custom made, which is not a short process, and still they beat the builder. The Professor installed the gas cooktop the other day. He is as sick of waiting around as I am. Now if I could get him to install the ovens so I could bake. I would adapt a lot better to this if I could just get started on my Christmas cookies.



The night before Thanksgiving I went to my DIL's and cooked those few things that I could do without the recipe. On Thanksgiving morning I opened up the paper and was stunned to see all the sale ads. My first thought was, What are these doing here in the morning? -- they don't come until late afternoon. That thought was immediately replaced by the realization that the sales ads have always been in the morning paper, but this was the first time in I-don't-know-how-many-years that I was able to actually open the newspaper in the morning.

The day after Thanksgiving we took the Professor's daughter & family out to lunch. Her sons, A & B, are very smart, especially A who seems to have a brain that functions just like the Professor's. He told me he wants to major in physics in college (Prof has a PhD in physics). What part of physics? I asked. Theoretical. What area? The big questions, like how the world began and how it will end. Like Einstein? Yes, exactly like Einstein. So you aren't going to do research on why electrons can't stop on a dime, but have to skid... No, I am not interested in the details at all. Just don't tell your grandfather that! (The Professor devoted a good part of his career to figuring out strange things about electrons.)

I found the conversation rather amusing, but I also remember being 17 and the innocence-arrogance-idealism combination that convinces them they can solve the world's problems without ever having to dirty their hands with those pedestrian details. Once again I find myself thinking that I have finally figured things out -- what I want to do, the kind of person I want to be, what's really important. Now I'm ready to go back to age, oh maybe 11 or 12, and do it all again the right way!

posted at 5:07 AM
Comments (4)



4 Comments:
At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!

Some day it will end! And then you'll love it!

BTW - We told your daughter to come help you figure out colors and whatnot - hopefully she does...

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry - I wasn't clear...
The younger daughter

 
At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah...the older one isn't good with colors...at least not the same ones you like!! LOL. Happy birthday mom. Someday, your house will be done. Then what will you have to complain about??? LOLOLOL. I saw the house yesterday, what is done looks good. I love your cabinets!

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Star said...

happy Birthday MM.Maybe you should bake the builders and thepainters some cookies. If only we could start over agian. But then, how much would we really change if it meant not being where you are now?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

I Can't Sleep, Anyway
A Very Long Week
It Was a Treat!
Funerals are for the Families
Made Me Laugh
Did I Really Say That?
It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Kitchen
Driven to Poetry
Well, At Least My Life Is Interesting
Some Expensive Evening



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: