Friday, November 30, 2007
The Man of my Dreams
UPDATE: Oh, I am in love, I am, I am. Alfonso not only showed up, he showed up with four other guys who have been working their cute little fannies off all day. They fixed the slanted and the squeaky steps, they trimmed out the post upstairs, they finished the stair railing, they mounted all the drawer fronts in the kitchen, they have the shell of the bookcases up. There are also some painters caulking everything they can find. I had to run to the store to buy 50 -- FIFTY! -- knobs for the doors and drawers, and they are going to drill the holes for them. I would say I don't have enough stuff to fill all these drawers and cabinets, but you know there's that law of physics that says that things always expand to fill the available space. There are a couple of saws on the front porch, so there is not a lot of new dust coming in. I know at this point I am easy to please, and any progress looks like enormous progress, but if they keep this up for a couple of days, we will be ready for paint and floors and my ovens. I haven't been this optomistic for weeks.


Yesterday, after I was done with my sales calls, I impulsively went by the builder's shop to see if the cabinet maker was cutting wood there. We hadn't seen him for over a week, and I was trying to find out if he was working on our job or if the builder had sent him out on a different job while my house languished. I talked to the builder's wife, who told me that the problem was the cabinet maker -- he vanished. However, she said, Alfonso will be finishing up your house. Yeah, right, I thought. But she got someone on the radio who said that he and Alfonso were on their way to my house at that very moment. So I ran home and Alfonso was indeed there, taking measurements, discussing what we wanted, and checking things out.

He said he would be here this morning. He said he will set his saw up on the front porch instead of in the house. He asked if I want adjustable shelves in the bookcases. (I couldn't get the other guy to do adjustable shelves to save my soul.) I think I'm in love.

posted at 4:50 AM
Comments (3)



3 Comments:
At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good news and a great birthday present.
I was sent here by Guppyman and I am sending happy birthday wishes.

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger deni said...

Oh, I am so glad that progress is finally being made on your house, woo woo, hope it's done in time for Christmas!

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Ally said...

Oh wonderful news! Although you are bringing back my whole 'attic conversion trauma' each time I visit! :).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

It's My Birthday and I'll Complain If I Want To
I Can't Sleep, Anyway
A Very Long Week
It Was a Treat!
Funerals are for the Families
Made Me Laugh
Did I Really Say That?
It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Kitchen
Driven to Poetry
Well, At Least My Life Is Interesting



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: