Sunday, October 12, 2008
House Update
The insurance adjuster finally showed up yesterday. He said they had just now given him our name, even though we have called repeatedly and he has been on our street several times. Anyway, he gave us a check on the spot to get the repairs started. He said the approved method is to tear out every bit of sheetrock, which includes tearing out the kitchen and bathroom cabinets and my built-in bookcases, but not, oddly enough, the brick hearth. Then he said that the company would give us the money to do it, but whether we do it or not is up to us.

I honestly don't think there is any mold growing behind my kitchen cabinets. I don't see any sign of it where there is sheetrock and not wood, like under the sink. And my beautiful granite consigned to the landfill? --- arrgh! The builder drilled holes in the kickplates under the cabinets. No one has seen any sign of mold under the cabinets, and our plan has been, and probably still is, to use a microbial spray, then repair the kickplate.

I don't think I ever mentioned here How I Saved the New Furniture. (I feel heroic, so it needs a title like a serial installment of Wonder Woman.) The Professor had already left town and I was trying to deal with everything. I really didn't expect a storm surge but I was afraid some rain water might seep through the patio doors and damange my brand new Ethan Allan furniture -- the very first good furniture I have ever owned. So while my 88-year-old mother sat and watched helplessly, I shoved 2 encyclopedia volumes under each leg of the couches, then rolled up the Oriental rug and hefted that on top of a couch. When the Professor tried to take the rug off the couch by himself, he couldn't. He said he will be very careful about picking any fights with me now that he realizes how strong I am. (Still Mitey Mite!) He told the story to the insurance agent, whose response was "Then you'll need to claim the encyclopedias." I hadn't even considered that, any more than I considered claiming all the yarn that got wet.

There are some small rewards for all this hassle. My vacuum burned up and when I went to get a new one (some things won't wait for the insurance guy), I discovered that they now come in red. If you have to vacuum, you might as well have something bright and cheerful to do it with. The dryer, which we think was the main culprit for letting water in the house through the outside vent, still works but we're pretty sure it won't for long. I intend to buy my very-first-ever-in-my-whole-life matching washer and dryer. And I can get those in red, too!

Chula is feeling better now, too. I had to force the vet to do a urinalysis and the poor little cat had a very bad bladder infection. Between the fluids to rehydrate her and the antibiotic, she started feeling good enough to notice that she hasn't eaten well lately. She is making up for it now, demanding food every 2 or 3 hours. That's okay, I'm just so glad she's going to live.

posted at 4:37 AM
Comments (0)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Of Hurricanes and Tough Old Broads
Alaska
Saturday Photo Hunt: Dark
The Ultimate Team-Building Exercise
Saturday Photo Hunt: Clouds
Too Much on the Brain
You Put Your Right Foot In, You Put Your Right Foo...
Saturday Photo Hunt: Support
And Death Shall Have No Dominion
Pot Pourri



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: