Saturday, December 10, 2005
How I Know There Is a Santa Claus
It was three days before Christmas. Crabgirl was 3-1/2, Dolphin was almost 2. They had spent the day playing with their cousins. As I was tucking Crabgirl into bed that night, she said "Mama, I know what I want for Christmas. I want a doll house."

There was no doll house hidden in the closet. There was no money in the bank, no paycheck due before Christmas, and no credit card. Not wanting Crabgirl to be disappointed, I told her that Santa wouldn't know that was what she wanted since she hadn't told him. And with the innocent sincerity that only a child has, she answered "But he's watching me!"

I brooded all night long, knowing that Crabgirl's cousin was getting a dollhouse for Christmas. With her cousin's dollhouse right there before her, there was no hope that Crabgirl would forget her wish. Would she remember this all her life: the Christmas she didn't get what she wanted, but her cousin did? Her faith in Santa was so complete. Would this disappointment affect her ability to trust, her optimism, her faith?

The next day I left Crabgirl and Dolphin with my mother while I went to the Green Stamp Store to pick up the toys that I had ordered. The man in front of me in line finished his transaction, turned around and said to me "Could you use some stamps?" Well, of course I could, we were always broke and this was how I got extras. The man handed me a book about 3/4 full.

I gave my name to the woman at the counter. While she went to get my order from the back, I thumbed through the catalog in front of me. There was a doll house! With the pages of stamps I would have left from my transaction, plus most of what the stranger had just given me, I had enough stamps to buy it.

When the woman came back with my order, I asked if there were any doll houses left. She said "Oh no, we've been out of those for weeks." I no longer remember if I begged her, or if she simply saw something pathetic in my face, but she rather grudgingly said she would go look in the back, even though she knew it was a waste of time. I will never forget the look on her face as she returned with the doll house in her arms. She said "Someone must have returned this because I know it wasn't there this morning."

Christmas morning Crabgirl and Dolphin stood in the doorway to the living room, hugging each other and naming what they saw in awed voices. They would not take a step toward the Christmas tree until I coaxed them there. It was pure magic. They had believed whole heartedly, and their faith was rewarded.

I have told this story to each child and grandchild as they got to the age of no longer believing in Santa. There may not be a fat man in a red suit, but there certainly is a Santa Claus. He is busy arranging things behind the scenes, and we are part of his plans. So smile at a stranger, hold the door open for someone, contribute to charity, take cookies to your neighbors, or offer something you don't need to a total stranger. It may seem inconsequential to you, but it may be the very thing that gets a starry-eyed little girl her doll house.

posted at 3:54 AM
Comments (8)



8 Comments:
At 5:24 AM, Blogger gal artist said...

That is an awesome story.

I remember my mom collecting green stamps when I was a girl, I wonder how many Christmas presents she bought for us with them.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Beautiful tale...brought tears to these old eyes! It is a renewing of one's faith in 'The Magical'; in 'The Unexplainable'; in the Danta Clause in all the world! Lovely, Lovely. Thanks for this, this morning. I'm here from michele, today!

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Michele sent me. Hello! Have a wonderful day!!

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Ramona said...

What a beautiful, heartwarming story. I'm so glad you shared it!
Here via Michele's today.
But, I'm adding you to my sidebar so I don't forget to stop by.
I really like your blog!

 
At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i still believe. he's got a place in my heart always.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Beanhead said...

Okay I am crying like a little baby. I have been sitting here feeling sorry for myself all day about school and being broke at Christmas and your post was just what I need to adjust my attitude!

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Ok, now I am crying...that is a beautiful story!! Goosebumps..

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Star said...

Yes Virginia there surely is! And the closer we get to Christmas the more firmly I believe it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Echanging Tickets
A Stormii Day
It's My Birthday And I'll Cry If I Want To
A while back I was whining about having to go to a...
The Day the World Changed
Travel, travel, travel
Deep in the Heart of Kenya Part 2
She's Only Looking
Deep in the Heart of Kenya Part 1
Thunder Storms



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: