Friday, February 23, 2007
Adventures in Paradise
The message began "Everyone's okay". You know right then that something really bad happened. And it did. The dive ship that the Professor was on had an explosion in the engine room, caught fire, and sank. He got out with his pants, shirt, and wallet. No passport. No shoes. I only hope he had his contacts in.

Apparently the American ambassador gave them all a letter saying they are citizens so they can get home. The Professor bought himself a new pair of shoes, and is trying to find a flight out. When he gets here, he will not even have the keys to his car. I have commitments next week that I can't get out of, short of someone's death, so depending on when he can get a flight, I may or may not be able to pick him up at the airport.

Now you know everything I know. Did they abandon ship into life rafts, or were they treading shark-infested water? Were they awake when the explosion happened, or did it wake them up? We've all seen enough ocean disaster movies to imagine several different scenarios. My guess is that they were all sitting around on the deck, having a drink and talking, when the explosion happened. That would put the Professor in his pants, with his wallet in his back pocket. He is very good in emergencies, and I cannot imagine him being awakened by an explosion and taking the time to pull on his pants, but leave his passport behind. But I guess all my questions will be answered, hopefully sooner rather than later.

UPDATE: They were up in the main lounge, having a drink, when the lights went out and somebody yelled "Fire!" They got into the dive boat, backed off and watched it smoulder for a couple of hours. Two fireboats could not put it out. Suddenly the whole thing caught fire and burned to the waterline. The Professor had cleverly put his passport and most of his money in a drawer for safekeeping, then couldn't get to it. He has so far bought a pair of shoes and two shirts, but no underwear (eeeeeeew!) -- something about it being a Muslim country that I couldn't quite follow. His problem with getting home is that he cannot leave an airport until he gets back to the States, which limits his options, and there is all kinds of red tape. So he is being put up in luxury hotels, eating and drinking for free, while he waits.

posted at 3:34 AM
Comments (3)



3 Comments:
At 5:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is just crazy! Let me know when you find out more....

 
At 6:00 AM, Blogger Star said...

Thank Goodness he will be home to tell you all about it. And I can't wait to hear the details. I am very, very glad he is okay. what an adventure!

 
At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where the heck is he anyway? You know we all want more details! Was this another middle of the night phone call saying "I'm ok but".... like the last one?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Wordless Wednesday
Gone Again
Saturday Photo Hunt: Antique
Thursday Thoughts
Wordless Wednesday
Travel Tuesday: Snowmass
GONE SKIING. BACK ON TUESDAY.
Wordless Wednesday
A New Picture
Saturday Photo Hunt: Gross



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: