Monday, November 10, 2008
Must be Murphy's Law
Deep breaths. This is just an annoyance, not a tragedy. My house is intact, no lives were lost, everything will be okay.

They started putting in my wood floors today. The Professor and I moved all the furniture out of the rooms where the wood will go. Everything was going beautifully until I walked down the hall to the kitchen, glanced into the dining room where they were working, and ... eeek! ... what in the world are they putting on my floors?

Well over a year ago, I had picked a reddish floor. When we tried to order it, it was unavailable -- I thought it was discontinued, but apparently just out of stock. So I picked out a much browner color and was very grateful that circumstance had pushed me to that color. I chose all my paint and stain colors using the browner floor. But somehow my very nice, inexpensive but completely disorganized floor guy went back to the original color when he placed his order, despite having given me a bid in writing for the correct color. And it clashes. Oh dear, does it clash!

And of course we can't get the right color. He has gone beyond the flooring distributors to the manufacturer's rep, trying to find enough of it to do my house. If we can't find it, it will be 6 - 8 weeks before they can get it in.

The carpet is actually in his store, but his crews are booked solid. On top of it being the holiday season, everyone is getting their insurance checks for hurricane damamge now, and they all seem to be ready for carpet. All the furniture that was in the rooms needing laminate flooring is now stuffed into one bedroom -- and when I say stuffed, I mean you cannot walk into the room. But if he can work something out, I will move all that furniture out of the bedrooms, if it takes me all night to do it. We may have Thanksgiving dinner with concrete slab floors, but I really need carpet in the bedrooms so the company can sleep there.

Like I said, it's an annoyance, not a tragedy. But it sure does consume a lot of time and energy trying to straighten it out.

posted at 1:40 PM
Comments (3)



3 Comments:
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you can't bother to get us real floors I'm not sure we can come.... Concrete??? What kind of Thanksgiving is that??? Geez...

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Star said...

These are the things that make great holiday stories.Someday, some one will say, "remmber the Thanksiving we sat on concrete and the furniture was all stuffed in a bedroom?" and you'll remember it fondly. Really.

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kinda like "remember when I was in labor and we were washing dishes in the bathtub on Christmas?" Just another fine holiday story...lol. What is a holiday without any drama anyway??

So are you keeping the red floors or waiting on the brown ones??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Way To Go, America!
I Don't Understand It
House Update
Of Hurricanes and Tough Old Broads
Alaska
Saturday Photo Hunt: Dark
The Ultimate Team-Building Exercise
Saturday Photo Hunt: Clouds
Too Much on the Brain
You Put Your Right Foot In, You Put Your Right Foo...



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: