Monday, January 16, 2006
My MLK Post
I completely forgot this morning that today was Martin Luther King Day. It occured to me on the looooong drive from Houston to Baton Rouge that I am just enough older than everyone else in this blogging community to have lived through things that you probably won't believe.

I was born in New York and lived there until I was 8. I'm sure everything was integrated, but I don't recall what color anyone was -- and that's the point, I think, it didn't matter at all. But then we moved to Dallas, and it was a different world. Blacks and whites had separate schools, separate drinking fountains, separate waiting rooms at train stations, separate swimming pools, separate movie theaters, anything you can think of except buses. We all rode the same bus, but blacks had to sit in the back. I remember being horrified at first, but when you're young and you want to fit in, you go along with what everyone else is doing. Over time, I literally never knew a black person in any capacity except cleaning a friend's house or sweeping the floor in the hair salon. I do remember one impassioned argument with a friend (?) in which I asked how she could let the black woman in the salon touch her all over her face, but refuse to sit next to her on the bus. That only earned me a really ugly nickname, and did not begin to make my well-on-her-way-to-being-ex-friend re-evaluate her position.

Even in college, there were no black girls. But then I took a summer job in a coffee shop, and made my first black friend. She was a cook; she was funny and full of fun and smart as could be. We went on break at the same time one day and were laughing and talking as we walked down the hall to the break room. Unthinking, I walked on in, then realized she was hanging back. "Come on" I said.

She answered "I can't go in there."

This is the moment I think of when I hear the phrase, it was as though something had sucked all the air out of the room. I was stunned. She wasn't a color, she was my friend, and the thought that she was prohibited from going certain places enraged, saddened, shocked, and shamed me. For the first time, I got a good look at prejudice and it tore a hole through me.

If this happened now, I would unhesitatingly go with my friend Carolyn to the "colored" break room. The fact that I would have been fired on the spot would be a sort of medal of honor. But it was then (1963) and I walked on into the "white" break room with the other waitresses, most of whom were missing teeth, drank up their paychecks, and had several "gentleman friends" who seemed to make monetary gifts to them on a regular basis.

It happened again several months later, this time with the athletic trainer from the college. He would recruit the kids from the south to drive home and share the gas money. We stopped outside a honkey tonk in the Texas panhandle, and he asked one of the boys to go in and get him a coke. He said "I can't go in there." This was the kindest, most generous man you would ever hope to meet, and the whole car erupted in fury at the idea that he would be discriminated against. And Rosie, God love him, told us not to be angry: "They just don't know any better."

So thank God for Martin Luther King, who solidified a movement that removed those stupid and evil laws and barriers. Thank God all of you were not prevented from knowing people of other races, so you could judge a person by the content of his character, and not the color of his skin. It is not a perfect world today, but compared to what it was in my youth, it is a different, and much better one.

I hope my friend Carolyn's world is much better now, too.

posted at 8:34 PM
Comments (6)



6 Comments:
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I'm like you in that color never mattered to me. I went to a high school here in Houston. One of the boys in the band lived on the way home from school and my mom would give him a ride. One day my dad picked me up and almost had a heart attack when my black friend started to get in the car. I was in shock. I had no idea that my dad felt that way. My friend said, "I understand" and he walked away. He never rode home with us again. My dad told my mom that he was not allowed in the car. I felt very bad and have never forgotten the look on my friends face. I made a pack never to do that to anyone because of the color of his skin.

Dr. King was not a perfect man but he knew how to handle this situation in a peaceful manner. WE are luck to have had him.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Ramona said...

It's hard to believe that this kind of discrimination was only 50 years ago, AND that it occurred in the USA.
Thanks for sharing your memories.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger guppyman said...

Hey cool.... one of these days I'll be able to make "back when I was your age" posts too....!

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Mitey Mite said...

Come on, people, add! That was FORTY years ago. I really don't need another 10 years added to my age!

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Ally said...

That was a wonderful post. It *is* difficult to believe that it was so recent.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Newsandseduction said...

It is going to get better as well, or so I think.Nice blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Giving Thanks
The Trouble With Taxis
Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow
Doing the Four Things Meme
More Pictures from Switzerland
Our Wonderful Swiss Ski Trip
I Have a New Kid!
Okay, I'm Almost Ready for Christmas Now!!!
Money Trees & Merry Christmas!
We're on the Final Countdown



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: