Wednesday, January 18, 2006
New Orleans
I have seen such a tiny bit of the devastation in New Orleans, and it was overwhelming. As you travel east, you start noticing that even the cypress trees have no leaves. Then you see more and more fallen trees. Then there are piles of branches, paper, concrete, telephone poles. Then you get to the neighborhoods.

The cleaned-up neighborhoods have "blue roofs" (tarps). You see an occasional car parked in a driveway. Today I drove through St. Bernard Parish, and it is just the way it was when the water went down. There are tugboats stuck in buildings; there are cars at crazy angles on lawns. Roofs are gone, siding is gone, bricks have washed off the outside. Some houses have been cleaned out, and there are piles of trash in front of them. It is so sad to see someone's entire life reduced to an 8' x 8' pile of unidentifiable rubble.

For those who remember, it was the president of St. Bernard Parish whose mother called him every day saying "Son, are they coming to get me today?" until on the 4th day, she drowned.

There are some businesses open. Almost all the refineries are running. The Home Depots and hardware stores are mostly open. There are a lot of signs saying "Now open" and "Now hiring". The further west you go, the more businesses you see functioning pretty much as usual. I was told that until very recently, even McDonald's was closing at 4:00 P.M. They couldn't find anyone to work in the evenings. It is still very difficult to get help, because very few people have a place to live.

People have moved to Baton Rouge, to Mississippi, and to all the small towns in between. The traffic to New Orleans in the morning, and from New Orleans in the afternoon, is horrendous. It took me 2-1/2 hours to make what is normally a one hour drive. Because there are so few places open, everything is crowded.

I pass on this next part as it was told to me by several people, without comment. Most of the people in New Orleans seem to believe that Mary, almost always referred to in the stories I heard as the blessed Virgin, protected those who revere her. I have heard stories about neighborhoods in which the only houses left standing are those with a statue of Mary out front. Tulane and Loyola are virtually side by side. Tulane suffered enormous damage. Loyola, which was once a convent, still houses some Dominican sisters, and has a huge statue of Mary, had almost no damage. This part I saw with my own eyes: the crosses are still on top of the churches, even though there is rubble all around them. Virtually all the religious statues are still standing, even in the areas where tugboats were tossed around like toys.

Mayor Ray Nagin may have gone off the deep end, but this city and its people still need our help and our prayers.

posted at 8:24 PM
Comments (4)



4 Comments:
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Tracy S said...

That is cool that you got to go witness everything there ..I bet it really puts things into perspective. I often wonder if they will ever get totally rebuilt over there.If people are even willing to go back.I know some are but I have heard so many say they are fine where they are.I mean as long as it is taking.I am sure alot are already settled in to their new lives.Uprooting again has got to be hard.

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

hmmm, didn't hear the story about the president of St. Bernard Parish. Media did a nice job of keeping that one from exploding.

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Tracy S said...

Tag!!!...your it :)

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Mother Nature can destroy quicker than the wink of an eye. I don't think NO will ever be the same again. I don't think they should rebuild in the areas below sea level. They could spend billions of dollars and it could happen again. Such a mess. Living within 60 miles of the Gulf Coast, I am doing what I can to be better prepared for another storm. I hear that next year will probably be just as bad....Man, I pray it isn't.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Gotta Have Priorities
My MLK Post
Giving Thanks
The Trouble With Taxis
Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow
Doing the Four Things Meme
More Pictures from Switzerland
Our Wonderful Swiss Ski Trip
I Have a New Kid!
Okay, I'm Almost Ready for Christmas Now!!!



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: