Wednesday, February 01, 2006
The Blues and the Blahs
I don't know what's wrong with me. Maybe it's the wintertime blahs. Nothing seems interesting; everything seems like too much trouble.

I need to do my laundry. It's still in the hamper.

I need to finish putting away the clothes from the last time I did laundry. They're still on top of the dresser.

I need to go to the grocery store. I drove right by it last night, but I just couldn't make myself stop.

I need to finish my expense reports. They're lying, half done, on my desk.

I need to make appointments with the dermatologist, the dentist, and an architect. Somehow I manage not to think about any of them during the hours when I could actually make an appointment.

I need to visit my mother.

I need to come up with something interesting to write about.

I believe that the two worst "everyday" sins -- the kind that don't get you arrested -- are laziness and selfishness. My conscience is telling me that leaving all these things unfinished is not only lazy and selfish, but self-indulgent as well. Up until now, my life has consisted of upbeat, high-energy days with an occasional blah day thrown in. Now that proportion has reversed itself.

I have realized as I was writing this that I haven't taken any vitamins in a long time. It would be nice if that was the whole problem, but I'm not sure vitamins will help me get my intensity and my joy back.

I want you all to know what a struggle it has been for me to tell the truth here. I desperately want to pretend to suddenly feeling happy and energetic, so no one will worry about me, and no one will see how imperfect I am. If I actually manage to hit the publish button, it will be a victory of sorts. It has always been my job to comfort and entertain and reassure everyone else, not to get comfort and reassurance from them.

Well, as proof that I can't seem to get anything done, I wrote this post on Saturday and here it is Wednesday and I still don't have anything better to say. But I did manage to do everything on my list above except make all those appointments and find something interesting to say. You'd think I'd be walking on air, since I got a half million dollar order yesterday, but even that didn't fire me up. Maybe when all the flowers start blooming....

posted at 5:13 AM
Comments (8)



8 Comments:
At 6:17 AM, Blogger Star said...

It does sound like the blahs! Take heart they usually clear up on their own.Take yourself out somewhere and do some unnecessary shopping or see a movie. I have appts. I need to make as well, and some little things that just need doing. I am usually much more proactive about stuff like that.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Ally said...

I think you *did* find something interesting to say, just sharing it helps, and it's helped me to read that someone else feels the same way I do. I have just lit the log fire downstairs (for the cats - of course!) and am now fighting a desire to curl up in front of it with a biography of Jane Austen I got for Christmas, instead of staying up here in the chilly office, re-designing the company website :/.

Yours in solidarity!
xx

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Ally said...

Can't find an email addy for you, so leaving yet another comment :). The site is FLYLady ... I think it stands for First Love Yourself :):

http://www.flylady.net/

I wouldn't describe myself as an *avid* flyer, but it certainly helps on those really BLAH days, as you say. If you sign up, you get about fifteen motivational emails a day, saying things like 'WHERE ARE YOUR SHOES?!!!!' 'WHERE IS YOUR LAUNDRY?!!!' - on a good day, I laugh and delete them, on a very bad day, I turn to computer off and go back to bed ... and on a medium day, I go and put my shoes on and fold my laundry :).

Sending you good thoughts, hope you're feeling a bit better x.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Ally said...

PS. And congratulations on the new order!

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Ramona said...

I think the blues and the blahs are going around! I've been in the same funky mood all day, and can cry at the drop of a hat.
Tomorrow will be a better day!
Congratulations on the order!

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I was reading an article the other day that talked about this very same thing. It said that in the winter months that we don't get enough vit. D and zinc. It said to get out in the sun for at least 30 minutes a day and take 25 to 30 mgs. of Zinc a day and it will help lift our spirits and energy. Give it a try and see what happens. If that doesn't work you might be in a bit of a depression. Every so often I'll go thru a phase like this...Good luck. Enjoy your chocolate.

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Beanhead said...

sorry you arer having it so rough right now. If I was in Texas I would swing by and give you a great bug hug..:)

 
At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the way you're feeling could have something to do with the weather, or it could even be some of the things that you need to do, none of them are really exciting, grocery shopping??? who can make this an exciting event. there is nothing wrong with having some down time, feeling a little blue. it makes you slow down, sometimes your pace can have a toll on how you're feeling. you might just need some quiet time, spend an afternoon just for yourself, doing something that is a favorite of yours, a craft, reading, baking, lunch with a friend??? everything you need to do, it sounds like chores. where on the list is something, just for you?
do you worry about your son and dil reading this blog. my kids are quite a bit younger and read my blog, it sometimes holds me back from writing what and how i'm really doing and feeling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

I Learn Something Every Day
Sighisoara Romania
The Fourth Amendment
Watch Out for This Guy!
New Orleans
Gotta Have Priorities
My MLK Post
Giving Thanks
The Trouble With Taxis
Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: