Monday, February 13, 2006
My Neighborhood
MommaK asked for pictures of our neighborhoods. The post I just created disappeared, but since it was a whiny, poor-me rant about how I had so much to do over the weekend, but instead got sick and ended up sleeping the whole weekend away, I figure the Blogger Gods are speaking to me, and my neighborhood would be a lot more interesting.


This is what I see when I look to the east from my front yard. The park is actually a couple of football fields in length, but I zoomed in so you could see what we all love most: the dock. It used to jut out to the left, but the angle was all wrong. The least little storm would rip the boards up. Our neighborhood association had it repaired professionally, and we had several repair-it-yourself parties over the years, but invariably as soon as the dock was repaired we would get a tropical storm or a hurricane, and it would be unusable again. This time they laid the boards down lengthwise and left off that crazy angle, and it survived hurricane Rita. The Little Angel and I love to sit here and swing and sing silly songs and talk about all sorts of things. The big open area across the street is the park. There is always a breeze off the water, so it is cool and mosquito-free.


This is the view to the west. Our little neighborhood is only two streets wide and we get very little through traffic. Unless it's school hours, there is always a group of kids playing street hockey or baseball or jumping ramps with their skateboards. It is as though time has been turned back about twenty years. There is one kid who passes my house on his way to the dock every morning in the summer, a fishing pole slung over his shoulder and a rolling cooler trailing behind him. (You may whistle the Andy Griffith theme now.) I confess to having envy attacks some days when I see him, but mostly he just makes me smile.


This is the sheltered side of my yard, but that also means it has a big mosquito problem for most of the year. (Gathering pecans over here is a real test of will.) My Japanese magnolia looks a little bedraggled after our weekend cold front. The fence behind the ginger and split-leaf philodendron backs up to a Girl Scout camp, so most weekends of the year we hear a lot of giggling and shrieking as they play games. I tend to find it more charming than annoying, but I was a Girl Scout leader, so I'm biased.

So that's my neighborhood. Drop by sometime. We'll skip stones off the dock, then sit in the swing and chat over some iced tea.


posted at 11:10 AM
Comments (7)



7 Comments:
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

Where are you?? Can I come over now?? Oh, it is so beautiful!! Thank you for sharing this with me. I'm linking you now...:)

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger WendyWings said...

What a lovely area and view you have !
:)
I love swing seats in the garden too, always something so restful about sitting and doing nothing in particular.

 
At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it looks like such a beautiful spot to sit and enjoy life.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Hey, there, Mitey Mite! I actually COULD stop by and see you. I'm in Houston! HA! Your scenery is much better than mine in suburbia, land of big houses on tiny lots! Glad I found you through MommaK!

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger gal artist said...

Oh, someday I want a swing like that in my back yard.

Have a Happy Valentine's Day!!!

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Tracy S said...

I love your neighborhood !!! I love talking walks over there .The weather is always SOOOO much nicer there.


Happy Valentine's Day and I hope you feel better soon...

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Ramona said...

Do you live on a resort?
Just wondering!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Gorillas in the Mist
On the Road Again
Blogman and HD and Stormii, Oh My
Happy Birthday PresentStorm!
The Blues and the Blahs
I Learn Something Every Day
Sighisoara Romania
The Fourth Amendment
Watch Out for This Guy!
New Orleans



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: