Monday, February 20, 2006
When Good Ideas Go Bad
Kross-Eyed Kitty inspired me, with a post about the difficulties of saying anything at work, to tell the story of how I got in more trouble than I could have imagined.

It was my first trip to a particular paper mill, and the Maintenance Supervisor greeted me with "Your company cost me a girlfriend." It seems our product had failed late in the afternoon, and as it was a version the maintenance crew was not familiar with, it took them a long time to change it out. Unfortunately, this was the night that his girlfriend's son was getting married, and despite repeated phone calls to update her, he missed both the wedding and the reception. A week later, she dumped him.

Now it was obvious to everyone that the wedding fiasco was just a convenient excuse to do what she had been planning to do, anyway. But he wanted a maintenance seminar, and I got an idea.

I called my boss to tell him I wanted to begin the seminar by saying that, although our liability is strictly limited to our product, this was a unique case, and we felt obliged to replace his girlfriend. I would then present the Maintenance Supervisor with a blowup doll. She would be tastefully dressed, and there would be no sexual innuendo, just a good laugh at the idea that he could not possibly find another girlfriend on his own.

"Do it, do it!" said my boss. "They'll love it!"

"But where do I put a blowup doll on my expense report?"

In an everyone-knows-that tone, my boss answered "Under office supplies, of course."

Everything went according to plan. The Maintenance Supervisor loved the doll, "especially the way she gazes at me adoringly"; the women from the mill office took pictures; everyone laughed and joked and had a wonderful time. It was probably the most successful maintenance seminar I ever did.

Two days later I got a call from the Mill Manager. "You" he said, "have violated the EEOC Sexual Harrassment and Discrimination Guidelines."

I had violated the WHAT????? I was too stunned to say anything, but as he continued to talk, it became clear what the real problem was. If someone should commit an actual act of sexual harrassment in the future, the pictures could be used to "prove" that the mill had always tolerated it -- why, they even had blowup dolls around! The facts didn't matter, only what some lawyer might twist it into in some nebulous future litigation. It's probably a good thing that I can't find the picture because, even though it would show a long-sleeved, turtle-necked, very respectable young lady who just happened to be made of latex, it would undoubtedly manage to get me into trouble all over again.

So now you know the ugly truth about me: I am hopelessly politically incorrect, and I have sexually harrassed an entire maintenance crew at a paper mill. And I am thorougly unrepentant. The only thing I am sorry about is that a sense of humor does not seem to extend into management.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````
I tried and tried to create links to Kross-Eyed Kitty and her post on comments at work. My blog has stopped performing any function except publishing. It won't even let me italicize any more. So this won't be a link, but here's the address:
http://mayedecember.blogspot.com.

*Hey look... it is a link now- Gee my son is great! And he knows how to type in italics!*
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````
If anyone is still wondering about the four one-syllable countries, they are France, Spain, Greece and Chad. Ally came up with Wales, which is in that never-never land as a part of the U.K.; Guppyman came up with Guam, which is a US territory, and with Laos, which I maintain is 1-1/2 syllables.

posted at 8:19 AM
Comments (2)



2 Comments:
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your blog won't let you do anything? i like to keep a hammer close to my computer, it's an attitude adjuster, sometimes just knowing it's there helps.

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

heh heh, i interview potential clients for a law firm. Many of the calls are labor disputes - the stories i hear - you can't make up that stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Coming Back to Life
My Neighborhood
Gorillas in the Mist
On the Road Again
Blogman and HD and Stormii, Oh My
Happy Birthday PresentStorm!
The Blues and the Blahs
I Learn Something Every Day
Sighisoara Romania
The Fourth Amendment



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: