Thursday, July 20, 2006
Thursday Thirteen
1. I love needlework. I sew, I crochet, I embroider.

2. When I was pregnant with Crabgirl, I learned how to embroider. When Dolphin was born I realized I would have to make a lot of clothes, so I got a sewing machine and a how-to book and taught myself

3. Over the years, sewing was a wonderful creative outlet for me, as well as a huge money saver. I progressed from mixing pieces of different patterns to making my own pattern pieces. When the girls got to the Barbie stage, I bought a pattern for Barbie clothes. I have a niece who still talks about the Barbie clothes I made for her.

4. I made most of the girls' clothes and my own for years, until they decided they wanted store-bought clothes. I explained that they would have about a third as many clothes, but they said they didn't care; they wanted to be like their friends. Funny, I always envied the girls I knew who had homemade clothes. I guess you always want what you don't have.

5. I took the girls at their word that they didn't want me to make their clothes any more. The first Christmas after we went to store-bought clothes, they looked at me, sticken, and said "You didn't make us anything!"

6. I had saved all the leftover fabric, and eventually I used it to make a quilt for Guppyman. For the backing, I used a sheet that I had taken to college, so all it cost me was a roll of cotton batting. I think the quilt eventually fell apart, but I know Guppy loved it because he still talks about it from time to time.

7. There was also a dress I made for Kritter when she was little that consisted of the leftover lining of a vest and fabric I had left from a skirt I made for Dolphin when she was in high school. In other words, it didn't cost a penny to make, but it was one of her favorite dresses.

8. In the 70's, when crochet got popular, I bought some yarn and a how-to book and taught myself. I guess this is my favorite craft. The physical act of doing it is very satisfying; it's quick; and you can make some wonderful gifts. I've never counted up all the afghans and baby blankets I've made, but I would guess somewhere over 50. I've given away all but 3 of those.

9. I am not a person who can sit still and do nothing. Although I love to travel, the getting-there part, where you sit for hours, is torture to me. I have always brought some sort of craft project along to pass the time.

10. It used to be that if I was on a full Southwest flight, with one empty seat on the whole plane, I could guarantee that the empty seat would be next to me. I would sit next to the window, pull out my embroidery, and sweep my arm over to the middle seat with every stitch. I promise you, no man dared sit down next to that!

11. Since 9/11, it's been much harder to find acceptable projects. Security is loosening up a little from the days when they took away a plastic needle, but you can't always predict what people will do. I carry blunt-tipped, kindergarten type scissors. They confiscated them in Japan!

12. My great-grandmother was an artist. I never met her, but I have some of her paintings and I feel like I know her because of them. None of that artistic talent came to me, yet I would really like to leave something tangible behind when I am gone. That is why I make things and give them away.

13. And, anyway, it's fun!

posted at 4:55 AM
Comments (4)



4 Comments:
At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How funny....

I looked last night and saw your original TT.... Guess you didn't want the conflict, eh?

Not that I blame you... it's all gotten old and boring anywyas....

And yes... I did love my quilt and would like another....

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Ally said...

I don't have the patience for big projects - I really admire anyone who can concentrate long enough to finish anything that takes longer than a week :).

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Wystful1 said...

So awesome!!! I would love to have a quilt made from such memories. My mother had a quilt that was given to her for her wedding many years past, and I wish I knew what happened to it---but it had everyone in the family in squares---with names and dates embroideried on each one. What a treasure....and what a treasure for guppyman!!!

I love to crochet also.

Thanks for the wonderful comment you left for me. I just added a Johnny Depp picture I finished drawing today!!!

Happy Thursday.

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Tracy S said...

I have always admired people that could do such things... I am not sure I have the patience to do any needlework like that though. I love to sew but I have to be in the mood and inspired to do so. It might be different if I could lay out a pattern on my own ..lol I would probably be sewing up a storm. I need to get busy on lil one a valance and us a living room valance too.

I have always wanted to learn to quilt. Maybe you can teach me one day :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Wordless Wednesday: In the Garden
Fun Weekend
Saturday Photo Hunt: Doors
Thursday Thirteen
Wordless Wednesday:Balloon Ride in Africa
Oh Deer!
Saturday Photo Hunt: Signs
Thursday Thirteen
Wordless Wednesday
The IRS Has Morals?



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: