Sunday, May 07, 2006
Baseball, Hot Dogs, Birthday Cake and -- Light Sabers?
It was quite a busy week. I had the OTC (Offshore Technlogy Conference) last week, with all the standing, walking, glad-handing, and entertaining visiting VIPs that that entails. On Wednesday night, we went to the baseball game. (The Astros won, thank you very much.) As I was crawling into bed, totally exhausted, I for some unknown reason asked the Professor if he wanted me to take him to the game the next night --- since, gee, it was going to be his birthday. He thought that was a terrific idea.

On Thursday night, as we got to the stadium, it started pouring, and neither of us had an umbrella. We ran from the parking lot, but had to stop for a red light right before the stadium. I ducked under a tent for shelter, and it turned out to be a scalper's tent. Well, before I knew what I was doing, I bought two tickets on the 4th row behind the Cardinal's dugout. I would be embarrassed to tell you how much I spent for them; let's just say they were above face value. To give you an idea of how good the seats were, I'll mention that we were about 30 feet away from George and Barabara -- you know, that George and Barbara -- the former President and First Lady. It was amazing seeing the game from there. We saw what the batter sees. And of course I didn't have my camera with me. I am still kicking myself about that. The 'Stros won again; perhaps I am a good luck charm?

On Saturday I had the Professor's children and granchildren over to celebrate his 65th birthday. He told me if I made a big production of things, he would leave town, and since he left the country for his 60th birthday so I couldn't throw another surprise party like I did for his 50th, I knew he meant it. I had my mother come over, since she's known the Professor since he was 11, and Guppy, Stormii and the Little Angel, as L.A. and the Prof's youngest grandson have a really close relationship. I had to stiff everyone else.

(You know, a couple of years ago I did absolutely nothing for Prof's birthday, as he always requests. After dinner he started baking a cake, and as his kids called him, he told them he was baking his own birthday cake, since Gramma wouldn't do it for him!)

Anyway, I could hardly wait to get through dinner and dessert so he could open his presents. Long before I absent-mindedly invited him to a baseball game, I had ordered two light sabers. I'll let you decide if he liked them.


Even my 86 year old mother liked them!


The kids couldn't wait for it to get dark so they could really see the effects. We always have a lot of people walking by the house on the way to the dock, and they all had something to say -- mostly "I'm jealous!"

posted at 3:55 PM
Comments (5)



5 Comments:
At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we have one of those and the neighbors kid has one, they are awesome!

 
At 2:46 AM, Blogger Ally said...

I would class those as 'very successful presents' :). And so nice to know that you're safe if The Dark Side comes calling ...

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger gal artist said...

LOL, looks like fun!

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

tickled!

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Wystful1 said...

LOOKS like you and the professor need to go back to another game!! Why even Oswalt is in a slump!!

(Looks like we may be around the same age! I have two grandsons...my oldest G.S. will be 17 in a few days!!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Sometimes You Just Need to Get Potted!
Jose, Can You Si?
Flower Power
Wow! A New Post At Last!
Costa Rica Part Dos
Back to Reality
Pass the Celery Sticks, Please
Time Is All We Have
Caught Unprepared
Diary of a Crazed Road Warrior



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: