Monday, March 20, 2006
Caught Unprepared
Oh, my. One of the bloggers I most admire, FTS, has spotlighted my blog this week. And here I am, with my blog a complete mess. I haven't dusted off my thoughts, or sorted out the good ones from the ones that need to be thrown out. Swept out the cobwebs? Organized my ideas? Ha! There's probably even a participle or two dangling around here. But please overlook the disarray. You are very welcome here.

Today's good news is that I am no longer the only woman in the sales force. The new hire is on the east coast, so I will only get to see her once a year at sales meetings, but it's nice to have her in the group. It's even nicer because my boss' wife told me confidentially last summer that he was so pleased with my performance, he was eager to interview more women for sales. As one who remembers when job listings were divided into "Help Wanted -- Men" and "Help Wanted -- Women" categories, and, even worse, when job applications had a whole section asking very personal questions about your periods (how heavy, how often, did you get cramps, etc.), I find the old phrase "you've come a long way, baby" floating happily through my head. (Avoiding, I hope, those pesky dangling participles!)

I saw 8 turkey buzzards perched on top of the house at the end of my street. Of course, by the time I went home to get my camera, they all flew away, presumably to dine on the finest of road kill. Two of them took off from the roof as I drove by. They are huge, with wingspans that must be five feet across. I know scavengers are necessary, but that doesn't mean I have to like them.

The weekend was very nice. I bought a set of coppery orange sheets, some reddish orange towels, and a bright orange outfit. Yes, I am very attracted to orange right now. Kritter and I went to the ballet Saturday night. I have a dreadful sense of direction, and they would not let me exit from the parking garage at the place where I could have found my way home. Instead, I went about 30 miles out of my way before I figured out where I was. (For those of you from Houston, I wanted to get to Seabrook, but I ended up going west on Memorial until I hit 610.) Yesterday I cleaned out part of my closet and filled two trash sacks full of clothes, some of them still with price tags on them. I very seldom shop, and still I have all these excess clothes hanging in my closet. I donate everything to the women's shelter. I was struggling over whether or not to get rid of my red "power suit". I haven't worn it in a long time, but it gave me confidence at some critical times, and I had a sentimental attachment to it. Then I imagined that some woman with her confidence in tatters would put on that suit and go interview for -- and get -- the first good job of her life. I'll never know if that actually happens, but just the possibility made that suit go into the Donate pile.

Well, I warned you that I hadn't organized my thoughts! I hope everyone has as happy a day as Monday can be.

posted at 1:00 PM
Comments (2)



2 Comments:
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Ally said...

Sounds like a fantastically productive few days!

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

So did you get on 610 and just take it around to 45 or did you turn around and go back to 45 and home via downtown?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Diary of a Crazed Road Warrior
Numbers and Grammar
Letters from Mwende
T.G.I.F.
Birthday Bash
Open Mouth, Insert Foot
There's Something About French Fries
When Good Ideas Go Bad
Coming Back to Life
My Neighborhood



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: