Tuesday, March 07, 2006
Letters from Mwende

I received my first letter from my new sponsored child in Kenya. Well, okay, she's only six, so someone wrote it for her. I just have to share some of it with you.

"She was very happy to hear that she's got a sponsor. She jumped up and down singing a chorus. Her parents were also very happy for your schooling her as your beloved child... Mwende has planted a pawpaw tree as a symbol of the friendship with you. She says that she'll keep watering it until when it will start bearing fruits so she'll never leave it to dry. She thanks you a lot and she says that she'll send you a photo with her family and the pawpaw tree."

That brought tears to my eyes, but it became an even greater symbol when I found a second letter (apparently someone forgot to mail it in January) and read this:

"The climate now is hot and dry. Last rain season, we did not harvest anything from our gardens because the rain was very low in such a way that the crops only germinated and no more rain fell on them, so they dried up leaving us in a very tough famine. But we believe that God is able and is the provider."

There was als an official letter from the Wamunyu Children Development Fund -- Wamunyu is probably a tribe, but I haven't had time to do research on it yet. Anyway, it begins:

"It is with great joy and ululations that we are sending many greetings from Wamunyu chidren Development fund the family of Mwende Nzioki and from Mwende herself to you. Do also receive much greetings from the entire Wamunyu fraternity as a whole. It is our hope against wish that you are just fine inhaling and exhaling that good air and you are at the best of health with your family members, friends, relatives and fellow countrymen up there. The saeme case applies to us down here. God has blessed us richly with the gift of life."

I cannot add anything to that. I hope against wish that all of you are inhaling and exhaling that good air.

posted at 4:30 AM
Comments (6)



6 Comments:
At 6:15 AM, Blogger gal artist said...

That was so sweet about the tree.

I hope you are breathing good air too!!

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

That is so touching!! What a sweet face :)

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

What a sweet little girl. I have always wanted to do something like this but have wondered about fraud. If I knew that the children and their families were actually getting the money I would jump at it in a heart beat. How did you go about checking them out?

 
At 3:28 AM, Blogger Mitey Mite said...

Lucy, this is Christian Children's Fund. 80% of the money they take in goes to the children. When we were in Africa, one of our guides told us he was a CCF kid, and that he would not have been able to go to school without that sponsorship.
You can send extra money directly to the child, but you have to be careful not to change the family's whole financial status by sending too much. You can check charities' ratings on the internet to see how much of the money is spent on other things. CCF actually does better than Heifer Project, which surprised me.

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the air i breathe is good today. what a sweet post.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Thanks for the Info. I'll check it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

T.G.I.F.
Birthday Bash
Open Mouth, Insert Foot
There's Something About French Fries
When Good Ideas Go Bad
Coming Back to Life
My Neighborhood
Gorillas in the Mist
On the Road Again
Blogman and HD and Stormii, Oh My



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: