Monday, February 27, 2006
Birthday Bash
Saturday night we had a joint birthday party for my mother and the Professor's granddaughter. They are only 85 years and 51 weeks apart, after all. The little one's middle name is my mother's name, her first namesake, even though there is no blood relationship.

I went to Baskin-Robbins to order an ice cream cake. (Since I discovered these, I have quit baking birthday cakes.) I was later than I should have been, and it was going to be impossible to pick up the cake and get everything else done. So I went on down to Dairy Queen. I had heard they also had ice cream cakes, and for less money than Baskin-Robbins. Well, they had several cakes in the freezer, different sizes and shapes, but all the same flavor: a little bit of a fudge brownie with chocolate ice cream, vanilla ice cream, I'm not sure what else but it was delicious! You can't get the variety of flavors or decorations at DQ, but everyone sure enjoyed this cake.

The little one loves Dora the Explorer, so I got her Dora's Talking Dollhouse. I have never seen anything hold her attention like this did. The older kids got into it, too!

I made three pans of lasagna, two the usual way, with hamburger (I know, it's supposed to be sausage, but none of us like sausage), and one pan made with portobello mushrooms instead of meat. There were 20 of us total, but Guppyman and Stormii came late -- they went to church first. There was one tiny portion of the lasagna with meat left for Guppy, and that was left only because I fought everyone from taking the last piece. If all three pans had been with meat sauce, there would have been nothing left at all. But once the meat was gone, and the men were forced to try the mushroom, they discovered they liked it, too. (Except for Guppy, who from birth on has had an extreme aversion to any kind of vegetable.)

The Professor's kids stayed Saturday night and left mid-Sunday afternoon. Then I had a steady stream of grandchildren stopping by. So my weekend was basically shop, wrap, clean, cook, and enjoy my family. Not a bad way to spend a weekend! Hope everyone else had a great weekend, and that the coming week is terrific.

posted at 7:13 AM
Comments (4)



4 Comments:
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Star said...

Sounds like, and looks like a lot of fun. Are you resting up today?

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Tracy S said...

I would vote for the shrooms everytime :)....It was soooooooooooooooo yummy. I agree about the cake too ...The gooey fudge stuff rocked!!

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger gal artist said...

Mmmmmmm, ice cream cake!!!

Sounds like you all had a good time. :)

 
At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i always make my lasagna with ground beef, i've never heard of using sausage. and we love those dq cakes too, mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Open Mouth, Insert Foot
There's Something About French Fries
When Good Ideas Go Bad
Coming Back to Life
My Neighborhood
Gorillas in the Mist
On the Road Again
Blogman and HD and Stormii, Oh My
Happy Birthday PresentStorm!
The Blues and the Blahs



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: