Tuesday, March 14, 2006
Numbers and Grammar
I've been a very bad blogger lately. I'm not sure that I've accomplished anything, but I sure have been busy not accomplishing it! I am my own worst enemy. For example, my company has a new fleet manager and we now have to enter our monthly business and personal mileage on line. We have to go back to Nov.1, when our fiscal year began. So I pulled out all my reports and my calculator, added up all the personal and business miles, entered the data for November and started on December. Ooops! December is not adding up. Aw, gee, I entered my beginning November mileage instead of my ending November mileage. Okay, call the 800 number and ask how to fix it. "Sorry, we're closed". Of course, it is 6:30 AM .... still, I'm up and working, why aren't they?!

Another New Orleans evacuee has been found murdered near Houston. This one was a 19 year old whose story appeared in the December issue of Seventeen. Here is how Seventeen wrote it up:

We climbed out of the dining room window onto the roof of a parked car that was right there, In the pouring rain we scrambled onto the roof of the house. Quiana and I looked at each other, terrified, and burst into tears. "How are we going to survive?" she said.

What if I never saw [my daughter] again? We hugged tightly, bawling.


Here is how the Houston Chronicle quoted her sister:

The pressure from the water busted the door down. The water was up to our necks so we had to escape out a window.

Seventeen's version struck me as patronizing, as though the girl was so unintelligible that they had to clean it up to a version that no one on earth would actually say. (In the pouring rain we scrambled onto the roof of the house? We hugged tightly, terrifed???? Come on, now.)

I used to be a purist about English, but I've mellowed, lowered my standards, or learned to appreciate spoken English, one or all of the above. (Although it still drives me totally insane when one of my children uses bad grammar.) I'm curious if I'm alone in this.

All quotes probably need to be cleaned up..er..a..um..bit, but with the er's and um's left out, people can be quoted pretty much as they spoke. Do you prefer direct quotes or cleaned-up ones a la Seventeen?

Do you notice the difference?

Do you even give a rat's patootie?

posted at 7:00 AM
Comments (3)



3 Comments:
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Actually, which story is correct? I saw the article in the paper too. It is sad and you wonder why she was out so late and who she was with. I feel for her child.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

heh heh @ rat's patootie

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Tracy S said...

huh?..lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Letters from Mwende
T.G.I.F.
Birthday Bash
Open Mouth, Insert Foot
There's Something About French Fries
When Good Ideas Go Bad
Coming Back to Life
My Neighborhood
Gorillas in the Mist
On the Road Again



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: