Friday, March 17, 2006
Diary of a Crazed Road Warrior
Oh, what a week I've had! On Tuesday, I spent the day in Beaumont, then went to a meeting and got home about 10:00 PM. On Wednesday, I had to go to a computer class all day. It was held across town, fairly close to Dolphin's house, so I went there when the class was over, and got home about 9:30 PM. Yesterday morning, I drove to San Antonio, made some calls, then drove down to Corpus Christi, arriving just in time to throw my suitcase into my hotel room and run to another meeting. All I have to do today is make a few calls here in Corpus, drive back to Houston, and start back in on my ever-lengthening to-do list. And, somehow, I have to get back into the cats' good graces. I suspect they are not happy about the lack of petting and the stale cat food they've been forced to eat.

I spend a lot of time going to these professional meetings, but there is method in my madness. Security has increased so much at the plants that it's very difficult to get in, and of course since the advent of voice mail, it's incredibly hard to get someone on the phone. But if you meet someone in a casual setting, chat with him over a drink and dinner, it's a whole different ball game. Now you are friends, and he's delighted to make an appointment. In fact, I have never even been in the office of one of my best customers, but many times we have sat at a table after the meeting ended and figured out the solution to a problem. The other salesmen think I'm nuts, but it sure has worked well for me.

The Professor is on another dive trip. He will get home tomorrow, but too late to make the ballet (we have season tickets), so Kritter is going to go with me. She has been my best ballet buddy over the years. Sunday night the Professor and I are having dinner with my "adopted son" and his parents. Tony works for my former company. He came here from England several years ago, and I didn't want him to sit all alone for 4 days for his first Thanksgiving holiday, so I invited him to dinner. Now he has his own stocking, and everyone considers him a part of the family. A few years ago, his parents and brother were here for Christmas, so I had them all over for the day. (There isn't a whole lot of difference between feeding 24 and 28.) This will be the first chance I've had to see them again, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

posted at 8:14 AM
Comments (9)



9 Comments:
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Daydreamer of Oz said...

Hope you have a great weekend as well...Ballet tickets (sigh) I wish :) Here from Michele's

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Kimmy said...

Sounds like a wonderful week. I wish I could be your ballet buddy. Sounds wonderful!

Hello from Michele!

I love your blog. It makes me fee so happy ;)

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger rashbre said...

You have a busy and buzy weekend. I think your friend from England has somehow put you onto out time too.

And Hi, Michele sent me!

rashbre in England.

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger rashbre said...

oops.. should say ".. our time ..."

 
At 7:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like quite the week, i did the opposite, lots of down time with the kids. enjoy the ballet, we only go once a year, the nutcracker at christmas.

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Visiting from Michele.

I hope YOU have a wonderful weekend...and a relaxing one too. Sounds like an exhausting work week.

I agree with you regarding face to face contact, its really important to a successful work environment. I often encourage my employees to increase their contact with the vice president of the company simply because it is better for the employee if the people above him/her know that person when they are making decisions that effect that persons job.

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Linda said...

Michele sent me...sounds like you have a great life - love your method of getting meetings and getting to know business folk...will have to remember that if I ever get back into the real world of work!

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger The Gnat's Trumpet said...

Hope you have a great weekend. Sounds like you had a busy week. MIchele sent me.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger poopie said...

FTS sent me over to say hello! *wave*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Numbers and Grammar
Letters from Mwende
T.G.I.F.
Birthday Bash
Open Mouth, Insert Foot
There's Something About French Fries
When Good Ideas Go Bad
Coming Back to Life
My Neighborhood
Gorillas in the Mist



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: