Wednesday, April 26, 2006
Flower Power
Everyone seems to be posting flowers and I want to get in on the fun. I promise, I'll do my Savannah and Charleston pictures -- just as soon as I finish half a dozen reports. But I don't have to think about where the flowers are.

This is my orchid. It's the second year it's bloomed. It sits on a table in the bedroom most of the year, getting filtered morning sun. I water it when I think about it, which isn't very often. I'm sure if I ever fed it or believed that I had anything to do with it blooming, it would wither up.

This is my very happy hibiscus hedge. It's very sneaky -- it always knows when I want to prune it and puts out hundreds of buds, well aware that I can't bear to cut off the flowers.

My border is sweet alyssum, ageratum and snapdragons. Some of the plants just dry up and I couldn't figure it out until I took these pictures and realized something -- probably an armadillo -- is digging big holes in my beds and uprooting some of my plants.

Passion vine. I have to untangle it from my other plants every few days.

The magnolia is coming into bloom.

So is the oleander.

And the esperanza, which we call Texas Bells.

The sage is flowering.

Every spring, the yellow flowers -- coreopsis, maybe? -- take over the garden.

And the agapanthus (Lily of the Nile) is just about to burst into bloom.

The allemanda has bloomed better the last two years since I haven't had time to feed it. But I would like to find time to tie it up to the trellis.

You may have noticed that there's a lot of yellow flowers (and I didn't show you everything.) If it's yellow and I put it in the ground, it goes beserk. If it's red, it tends to do well. Any other color, and it's an iffy proposition. I don't know why. I would like to have a more color balanced yard, but the flowers seem to know what they like.

posted at 6:33 PM
Comments (5)



5 Comments:
At 5:25 AM, Blogger Ramona said...

How lucky you are to have all those gorgeous flowers to admire!

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger gal artist said...

I adore flowers, thanks for sharing. They are lovely.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

nice series. i've killed every orchid I've purchased. After two murders I never buy them any more.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Tracy S said...

I am with you Shane ...Except it only took one for me. Orchid is my favorite flower and I can not keep one alive to save my life. I guess we can trade off though Mitey... I will admire your orchid and you can admire our angel trumpets. :)

Great post btw!!!

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Wystful1 said...

Would you mind if I add your blog url to my list of GREAT Blogs?

I'm going to be bold and add it -- but if you'd prefer I didn't just stop by mine and let me know---I'll certainly take it off the list of links if you wish!!

(I have a photo album blog, but these photos here make mine look like seed!!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Wow! A New Post At Last!
Costa Rica Part Dos
Back to Reality
Pass the Celery Sticks, Please
Time Is All We Have
Caught Unprepared
Diary of a Crazed Road Warrior
Numbers and Grammar
Letters from Mwende
T.G.I.F.



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: