Sunday, January 14, 2007
A Gift of Love
I received a wonderful gift yesterday. It was the return of an afghan I made for someone, with a beautiful note attached. First it made me cry, then it filled me with a peace and joy I have seldom known.

It was four years ago that I got word that my immediate boss, who had also become a close friend, had a re-occurence of melanoma. He went through surgery, chemo and radiation, and seemed to be getting better. I lit candles and said prayers for him in majestic cathedrals and small country churches as the Professor and I traveled to various parts of the world.

But new tumors appeared, and his valiant fight was not enough. I wanted so badly to do something for him, so I made him an afghan of the softest yarn I could find. I knew he was in pain, and I hoped that the warmth and comfort of the afghan might allow him a restful nap.

He died a little more than a year ago. Here is the note his daughter sent:

I hope you are enjoying a peacful and happy beginning of 2007. My mom is attempting to begin to get the house in order and sort through some of my father's things.

This blanket brought him much comfort and warmth. The gift being from you, and made by you, was an incredible comfort to my father. He felt the warmth of your friendship and humbled that you took the time to create such a beautiful blanket for him. He was cold so often. Many times, I would pull this blanket up around him, and he was good.

Thank you for sharing your talent and your love. Your blanket provided so much more than physical warmth for my father. He led a life extending such love and warmth to so many, and in the final months of his life you were able to reciprocate that love and warmth to him.

I am humbled by her words, and very grateful for them. What a loving thing it was for her to write that. There is a Bible verse that keeps going through my head now:

Cast your bread upon the waters, and it shall be returned unto you a hundredfold.

It has been returned to me so many times more than that.

posted at 9:52 AM
Comments (12)



12 Comments:
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Panthergirl said...

Oh, that is just beautiful! At first I wondered why they would have returned it to you, but the note made that ok. What a sweet and poignant story.

Here via michele today.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger MaR said...

What a wonderful story!

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Michael K. Althouse said...

That's a nice story. One of the lasting memories I have of my own Nana is an afghan she made for me years ago. It was but one of her many, many talents. She passed way too soon from cancer, but my mother (my kids' Nana) must have inherited the "afghan" gene because they are all over my house - and each of my now nearly grown kids cherish their own blankets.

Thanks for the story,

from Michele's,

Mike

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Star said...

What a lovely story. I know you will treasure the afghan even more knowing it brought our friend some comfort. My mother mde beautful crocheted and knitted items. I gave many as gifts. When my grandson was born I was sorry she wasn;t here to make baby blanets for him. My sister-in-law, whom I had gifted with one of my Mom's creations sent the blanket to my daughter. I was so touched by that act of kindness.

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger craziequeen said...

'He felt the warmth of your friendship...'

You don't get any better than that, Miteymite. Lovely story...

cq
Michele sent me to visit

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

It says so much about the goodness of your giving soul. I write this through tears, for we all wish we could bring such comfort to others in need.

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger David Edward said...

that is beautiful

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger gal artist said...

What a sweet thing for someone to do. I am sure you were touched deeply, I was just reading this.

 
At 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very touching and beautifully written.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I found you via Ally's blog (Ducking for Apples)

What a beautiful story, I read it with tears in my eyes.

 
At 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen to that! What a wonderful thing that you did to bring joy and comfort to someone. And to have the blanket returned to you with such a beautiful note. It brought tears to my eyes. You will truly be blessed!

My daughter in Hawaii just had her last chemo done on Thursday, so now I am waiting and praying that it went well. And pray that she will be healed by the grace of God. She had a stage 2 lymphoma, so the doctors seemed very hopeful. I pray for her everyday and I can't wait to see her in April. Then I am going back to Hawai'i with my family.

 
At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is very sweet. I remember you making that for him. I think it is very cool and special that she sent it back to you with such a warm and touching note.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Name:
Mitey Mite

Location:
Texas, United States

I am older than dirt, but I still feel pretty young & some call me the Energizer Bunny. I share a house with the Professor & 3 cats. Between us we have 5 grown children, all of whom are productive members of society (!), and 10 grandchildren. I have a job I love, a little money for the 1st time in my life, and so many more things I want to do than I will ever have time for.

View my complete profile



Blogroll Me!

BlogExplosion

Saturday Photo Hunt: Technology
Thursday Thirteen
Wordless Wednesday
Thursday Thirteen
I Did It! Have You Done It, Too?
Happy New Year!
Wordless Wednesday
Wordless Wednesday
The Real Me
I'm Still Around!



September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009

Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: